1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

19.2kg of carbon dioxide!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Feb 12, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My local council kindly takes away all my paper, glass, metal and plastic for recycling. However I always keep the aluminium back and recycle that myself. At Tescos they have a machine that gives you clubcard points for each alu can se we save ours up and take them there. Today, as well as telling us we had inserted 134 cans worth 77 points (Worth £2.31 towards a holiday) the machine told us that by doing this we had sae 19.2kg of carbon dioxide entering the atmosphere. Now regardless of your views on Carbon Dioxide (I personally think GW is down to Sunspot activity) this is a staggering statistic that to manufacture 134 cans from virgin material will produce 19.2kg of CO2 over and above that used to recycle the can. I estimate that the total mass of the cans was about 2kg.

In science we have to teach about atom economy in reactions. There must be a serious inefficiency in atom economy in the combined reactions required to produce this material. Mostly in energy production I would think.

2. We have a tree at the end of our road so that makes us carbon neutral.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I think my farts produce more than that in a month, and as they are about 30% methane, I am contributing to greenhouse gases all the way.
    Beans for tea. Hooray!

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I am considerably fatter than most of my colelagues, thereby sequestering a huge amount of carbon.
    Thin people should feel very guilty that they are destroyng our planet - selfish sticks

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've often wondered if driving to the tip emits more carbon than what I save by recycling the items inside the car.

Also, is the carbon footprint of manufacturing a solar panel ever compensated for by its use?