1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

19/20 Pay Increase

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Mrsidney1, Sep 26, 2019.

?

Have you had the pay increase?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. Mrsidney1

Mrsidney1 New commenter

So, the new year has started and the first pay slip for teachers has been handed out (at least from my local authority).

I was wondering, who has had the 2.75% increase? If so, when were you told about it from the school. If not, has it been mentioned to you or completely ignored?

Was this supposed to begin in September, and was it mandatory for schools to implement it?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think the increase was only approved a couple of weeks ago. As schools only have to apply it at certain points, they presumably each had to determine their increases (even if those were 2.75% at all pay points), and I suspect it won't all have happened in time for September payrolls. You'll probably get it backdated next month.

strawbs likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

That’s exactly what will happen. Then any incremental increase will probably come the month after that, also backdated.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have just been informed everyone will get their 2.75% in their November paypacket but backdated to September, it has just been agreed by Governors

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I think it should be, but it isn't mandatory for schools to give everybody a 2.75% increase. All that has happened is an increase in the minimum and maximum for each pay band, and as long as schools respect these, they can do whatever they like, as long as they comply with their own pay policy.

6. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

No increase and nothing said, which is a bit odd because an email has gone out telling support staff they will get their increases in October (backdated to September).

7. beckie_davies

beckie_davies New commenter

I thought it was supposed to be backdated to April? We haven't heard anything yet.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes this ^^^

And the min/max increase is only statutory in LA schools. Academies that have adopted STPCD would also have to follow it under their own pay policies. Academies not using STPCD can ignore it completely if they want to (other than for any TUPE staff).

Under STPCD it backdates to 1st September, it always has done. An academy not using STPCD could theoretically backdate to April if it wanted to but I've not heard of one doing that. Check your pay policy or ask your union rep.

caterpillartobutterfly and bajan like this.
  9. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

What Rott said. Academies do not need to give any pay rise.

10. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

We are on a pay freeze while the school consults about coming out of the TPS :-(

11. Rott Weiler

You must be in a private school though, so the government announcement about a 2.75% increase doesn't apply to you anyway.

12. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

13. CandysDog

Teachers eventually got an email in mid-October saying we will get the pay increase in November, backdated to September.

14. CandysDog

Cost of living payrises were given in April until 2005. Point increases have always been September, as far as I know.

15. Rott Weiler

The poster who asked about April pay increases has only been a teacher since 2007.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL We have come out of the TPS and have had no pay increase for the second year in a row!
    There are lots of advantages to being in the independent sector, but pay and conditions are not always two of them!

17. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Our school just applied the 2.75%, backdates to start of academic year, across the whole payscale not just top and bottom.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW! Never leave such a lovely school!

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We will get it this month.

Pomza likes this.
  20. CandysDog

But not everyone else reading this thread did.

‘Always’ means ‘always’, not ‘when you started teaching’.