1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

18th birthday - appropriate present

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Feb 7, 2011.

1. miss post is 18 this saturday
    - pause whilst i sob in a corner for 'where did all that go, then'
    she has produced a list of books and music she would like, but has also said she would like money towards a trip to america she is planning for next year
    my family think a large cheque is a very appropriate 18th gift
    mr post's (lower middle class - sorry - but i think that so matters here) will have none of it - sil and mil have combined forces and poor mr post has spent a week persuading them not to buy jewellery - which miss post does not wear - he even had to point out that she does not have pierced ears - er, have they met her?
    the compromise is posh frock(s) which will last - which is their pre-condition - so she is off this week to spend £70 on same - not her usual mode of expenditure - she would really have preferred the cash toward the american trip - the memory of which will undoubtedly last her a lifetime
    how is it in your families?

2. miss post is 18 this saturday
    - pause whilst i sob in a corner for 'where did all that go, then'
    she has produced a list of books and music she would like, but has also said she would like money towards a trip to america she is planning for next year
    my family think a large cheque is a very appropriate 18th gift
    mr post's (lower middle class - sorry - but i think that so matters here) will have none of it - sil and mil have combined forces and poor mr post has spent a week persuading them not to buy jewellery - which miss post does not wear - he even had to point out that she does not have pierced ears - er, have they met her?
    the compromise is posh frock(s) which will last - which is their pre-condition - so she is off this week to spend £70 on same - not her usual mode of expenditure - she would really have preferred the cash toward the american trip - the memory of which will undoubtedly last her a lifetime
    how is it in your families?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well.. I received some vile silver jewellery I haven't even tried on, and a leather [​IMG] jewellery box.
    That was all from my mum's side... apparently you have to have something to keep for an 18th, regardless of whether it's useful, desirable or even pleasant.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My family have these differences. Some are happy to give money, particularly when they know what it is ear-marked for, and some are not.
    Not sure that I would have suggested a posh frock as a lasting gift for an 18 year old. My books have definitely lasted with me longer than my dresses.
    Would she wear a watch?

5. I understand they want her to have something she will have to last, but could they not buy her a camera or something, so she could take photos on her trip? That way she could share the photos with them on her return, and they'd know she was able to take them due to their gift!
    I did receive a silver bracelet from family for my 18th. Difference is, I was asked what I would like and that's what I chose!!

6. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

My Mum told everyone who asked that I would appreciate book tokens for my 18th which was great! If your daughter's relatives are opposed to giving money but would consider vouchers (so they're giving something specific) they could contribute towards the trip by getting her vouchers for Flight Centre or another travel agent.

7. good ideas - but she tells the time by her mobile like the rest of us, she has a camera and vouchers are not acceptabel
    she is resigned to the clothes - but it is such a waste of money she could do with otherwise
    lilachardy - she will be luckier than you - don't folk have strange ideas - my dad does it to me and my sister - we have had years of pointless presents - but we are not short of anything, so we smile sweetly

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Cash is king!

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

The only question is - how much?
    But I've never met the teenager who didn't prefer cash. I can remember exchaging my M&S vouchers for cash whoops - it didn't fit] in the days when that was still possible.

10. I got the wee cousins make-up after someone recommended benefit to me. Bloody expensive! In this day and age money is appropriate. I got a pen, flowers (first time really), massive cake, and a portable tv for university.

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Probably some Ghost perfume and a cheque for my soon-to-be-18yr old, although she is the only one without a laptop, so maybe that might be instead of cheque.

12. Just thinking, when I was younger, it was the dine thing to buy a girl a purse and put £18 in it... A lot of money back then!

13. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

OK, I'm a bloke...but I still remember going shopping with my dad half my life ago to get my first (new) TV, a 14" portable that I was going to take to Uni! Until then I had a MASSIVE 1970s-style telly in a wooden case, that my beloved Commodore 64 computer was plugged into...those were the days...
    Mark

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

scooter lessons

15. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Mine last year got money from us ( what she wanted ) and .......a card from grandparents ( we don't live anywhere near them but they could have made an effort! )

16. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Where in the states is she headed? Trek America trips are great and I couldn't have rated the one I did more highly (Southern Sun). Maybe some vouchers for something like this?
    My parents bought me a camera for this trip, I know you mentioned she has a camera but is it really any good? I have a Panasonic lumix TZ6 and the zoom was perfect for more scenic shots.
    Also vouchers for things she could do over there (grand canyon flight, sex & city trip in NYC etc...?)
    I'm also against giving money for gifts, although with the recession this is safer than vouchers...
    They could buy her a backpack/case? Or a guidebook with some US dollars (seems more gift based than £) Or an IOU for tickets to a show etc for when the time is nearer? xx

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Driving lessons?

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Both of mine chose to have a ring which I was very happy about as I did want it to be something lasting. That said, iI wouldn't have wasted money on jewellery if they didn't want it.

19. oh - how times change - she would not want a tv as what she wants she watches on laptop!!!
    i cannot argue with the fact she has no intention of driving (have you seen the accident stats? have you checked out the insurance? ) and we live on the tube network
    wrt trip - it is to attend a conference in california on fantasy novels (marvel comics et al) plus associated computer gaming - she went to a sub-conference in nottingham and was [​IMG] to find herself the expert wrt teenagers and social networking/twitter so fancies spreading her wings further afield - but as it is so specific, she really needs cash
    for those who re-inforced this - nice to see cash sensible and has been so for many years

20. For my 18th birthday my family thought jewellery was a must and I spent months convincing them it was a waste of money. My dad instead paid for me to go to Switzerland with my Guide group. Ok I have nothing to pull off a shelf and say 'that's what my parents got me for my 18th' but I have the most amazing memories.