1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

188 notice served

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by deleted964, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Our school has been serving 188 notices to teachers ta's and dinner staff. We have been asked for any voluntary loss of hours. I have offered to reduce my hours and go part time which they have agreed. I was called into heads office today and she said even though I volunteered I could still lose hours and it would be the governors decision-is the right having already given up 5 hours?
    Really need union minded on the ball person and I don't know one-help please?

2. <u>JOIN A UNION NOW!!!!!!!!</u>

3. When we had a similar situation, various staff offered to reduce their hours (because they wanted to), but the Unions said this was not acceptable, and the process had to be done properly (matching staff/skills to school's needs).

4. Thats what we have been told,one of our ladies has offered to give up 5 hours and they have told her no. We have all got to list our skills and qualifications and say why we deserve to keep the hours we have. The staff moral is really low and people have started stabbing each other in the back-its all for one and stuff the rest-awful!

5. We were not asked to justify keeping our hours. We just had to list our skills, and those were matched to what the school decided they needed as a bare minimum. The effects of the process are still being felt a year on.

6. Hi we are going through a similar process can i ask were some of you made redundant or no?
    We have the same back stabbing going on ridiculous.

7. R13

R13 New commenter

You'll get some good advice here - possibly mixed in with a range of stupid advice. You could guess which is best or JOIN A UNION and get things sorted.

8. Definitely join a union. List your skills and every course you have ever done. When you go in to the interview, big yourself up. Even if you think 'the head knows me' you have to say stuff so it gets noted down. Best of luck.

9. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

A Union won't get involved in a situation that has already begun. They aren't daft.

10. How awful for you all and so stressful.
    Haven't heard of any redundancies in my LEA.
    Are you secondary or primary?

11. what nonsense. Unions will involve themselves in any situation they are asked to by a member regarless of when the situation started in relation to their joining. Dealing with existing disputes is one of their best recruitment tools!

12. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

The school support staff unions may be prepared to become involved in a whole-school issue like this (and certainly will if they have any members involved) but be very sure that they will <u>not</u> represent an individual who has not bothered to join and pay their subscriptions until a problem has arisen - would you expect any other form of insurance to work this way? Union members have already subsidised those who don't bother to pay over all the years of negotiating for pay and conditions - frankly, I would be well fed-up if I was expected to then protect colleagues who had ignored my urging to join a union.
    If you work in a school you should be a member of a union - preferably one of those unions who actually can negotiate on your behalf. do not wait until you are in a similar position to people who are posting on here - this will go on happening in schools - and may even get very much worse!

13. Couldn't agree more. My union subs are worth every penny!

14. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Agree they will not get involved when a dispute has started if you have not joined.Everyone should be in a Union.I am not too impressed by the involvement with Single Status but what about if a child/parent accuses you of something.They are there with legal advice.