1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£80 off car insurance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Oct 26, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It isn't a scam. Insurance companies offer cost or even below cost premiums to new customers in the hope that they can make a profit in the second year. By changing your insurer each year you are effectively putting the price up for all the people that don't change their insurer. So it is all your fault.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I didn't change insurer I just got them to reduce the price for my loyalty.
    Let's face it, on the whole they have done extremely well out of me over all the years I have been buying insurance from them.
    It is not me that puts the price up, it is bad drivers and fuss pots and people who do not buy insurance.
    And as for what I have paid out when the kids started driving - for heaven's sake - daylight robbery.
    And don't get me going on house insurance and their trade person rackets. £1000 for a front door? For heaven's sake.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I'm beginning to think it is ...

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

their responsibility is to their shareholders, the price you pay is your choice. Nobody makes you own a car. I pay £90 for a commercial van and £300 for a sporty number, it seems reasonable to me.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I pay more than that for an estate car.