1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£4,000

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Jan 16, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Just got an online quote for my daughter to drive a car.
    £4,000
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

2. Oh dear Nelly - was just thinking about same thing regarding our son. How do people do it?

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh dear!
    Mine is getting increasingly expensive and I'm female, been driving since 1982, have maximum no claims, a squeaky clean licence, live in a low risk area and drive a boring diesel saloon worth <&pound;5K
    And the car's parked on the driveway every night.
    &pound;340.

4. NellyFUF

To be honest that was double other quotes, but still, I wonder if anyone ever signs up for that kind of quote?

5. It seems you have to do your homework/consult Omid Djalili or the meerkats...

6. NellyFUF

insure the box
    &pound;1270 but with a telematics box whatever that is

7. Isn't that the thing they put in you car where you are only allowed to drive at certain times?

8. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I know the feeling! I am 25, do V low milieage, park in a locked carpark both at work and at home. Had 8 years no claims until last week. This has dropped to 3 after a recent accident [​IMG] They want &pound;1000 for next year. I only paid &pound;1100 when I was a learner and for the reamaining few months after I had passed. I am gutted!

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Yipes, paulie! And I thought I was hard done by. [​IMG]

10. I feel your pain paulie! I had a no fault claim with 7 years protected ncd and my policy still went up by £300 :(

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When renewing, go to your existing insurance company's website and get a fresh quote to see if it's lower than your renewal quote, then challenge them to match it. If they say no, just tell them you'll cancel then reapply. It saved me quite a few quid once.

Definitely look at price comparison sites. Cheapest I've had recently were Admiral and Churchill, but I'm an old git in a rural location with a small car in a low insurance group, so my sympathies to you younger urban drivers.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

My policy has gone up from &pound;220 in 2009, with no changes to my circumstances (apart from 2 more years of no claims & the car depreciating in value).
    It's not just my current insurer. All the quotes I've had are well over &pound;300. Apparently it's down to the increasing number of uninsured drivers on the road.
    QED?

13. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Its pants isn't it?! To add insult to injury I have to courtesy car (my fault I deliberetly tried to save &pound;25!) And they are not even going to asses the damage untill tomorrow, 10 days after the crash.
    Sorry to hijack the thread Nelly. But insurance is a rip off!

14. Ditto manashee. I wouldn't renew with my old company even if they paid me too. The cheapest price from anyone was 300 more than the year before. Some quotes were £2000+

15. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

we challenged them on that and were told it costs more to insure and older car as it is harder and more expensive to get the spare parts!

16. NellyFUF

THe whole thing is a rip off.
    And we are over a barrel because we have to have insurance.

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Indeed!
    My nasty little mind makes me wonder whether the whole bloody industry is in cahoots. [​IMG]
    ScotSEN - that's interesting! But it doesn't wash if the car's a write-off.

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I have very cheap insurance, it was &pound;107
    And I trashed an innocently parked car last year.
    You lot must be paying for my incompetence.
    Sorry. [​IMG]

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

SO! It's YOU Mr lurk!!!!
    [​IMG]

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A word of caution re insurance claims. We have a 9 year old soft top which we bought new and are very attached to, current market value some way below £2000. Not long ago it was vandalised. Our knee jerk reaction was to put in a claim, then we read the small print - if it was taken away and assessed as a right off they were not obliged to return it to us and could scrap it without our consent(!)

Amongst other things the roof fabric was torn and would have cost £800 to completely replace, so we knew what a claim would result in. Instead I fixed all the vandalised bits myself for about £30. OK so I'm not a re-spray expert, but there's no way I was going to put in a claim and see this car written off when it was mechanically sound, then see my premium go sky high the following year.

It's worth checking the small print before putting in a claim.