1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£30 for a class christmas gift (Year 2)...any ideas welcome!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alrightmebabbers, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I like the idea of books as well. I buy out of my own money so set myself a budget of £15 tops. Tesco is a great place to go, they do the old spears games like Screwball scramble. I got a "don't break the ice" type game & the wobby waiter one for under a tenner altogether. 2 large looking pressies which should hopefully go down very well during golden times. Sorted!

2. I adopted a snow leopard for my class at xmas last year. It was £3 per month and they got a cuddly toy which we used as a mascot and a brilliant incentiive for good behaviour. We also received monthly updates and a website which streamed a webcam to snow leopards in the wild.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My class love both of these sets. The lower ability can't read them as such, but when they have free reading choice they often pair up with more able and share them together.

I second the idea of IKEA cushions or blankets. My class love snuggling up with them and reading. Also a giant teddy that they can sit on and read or just snuggle.

Maybe some book sets for £10 each and then some cushions for all to enjoy?

4. Ill probably go with the books - thanks! Im really trying hard to foster a love of reading with them at the moment.
    My only idea is that they have absolutely loved the julia donaldson picture books we have from the library, and a lot of our other picture book selection are dated and ripped so it might be nice to get 5 or 6 of these instead. Or a set of horrid henry, and then 3 picture books as a compromise perhaps.
    Ive already got a few cushions and a bean bag but can never find cushions cheaply! How much are they in Ikea?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There is a Julia Donaldson collection on the book people as well. You could buy several smaller sets of books...

6. There was 10 Julia Donaldson books for £10 which I really wanted but they had none in stock :(
    Ive gone for a horrid henry collection and a rainbow magic collection after all :) They'll sit nicely on the reading corner windowsill and give my more able something to get stuck into.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG]
    I've just bought these for my Y2 class( four short stories in one book - a stage between picture books and chapter books) £8.99 fot 10 books

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was looking at the Winnie on Patrol books. My class are currently loving The Worst Witch being read to them, so I'm hoping some of the better readers will start to read those.

The Fairy books are also very popular. Might get Horrid Henry as well for the boys.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Grrrrrrr impulce!! I now have a shopping basket worth £81.96 on the book people website and it is all your fault! So I'm off to slim it down massively.

I think I'm going to do a pass the parcel with the boxes of books and have (what I usually hate) a little present (chocolate) in each layer. I'll tell the children that the presents in the layers are for them personally, but that the gift in the middle is for the whole class to keep and share.

Soooo two or three sets of books is more than enough me thinks!

10. Just bought this for my granddaughter for Christmas. It has the story, a props section with the characters, a separate book set out as a play, last section is the pop-up theatre. I'm very excited and can't wait to play with it.

Picture doesn't do it justice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gruffalo-Pop-Up-Theatre-Book/dp/0230531792/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322929443&sr=8-1

[​IMG]

11. Awesome, awesome, awesome! Thank you! I am teaching in Jakarta and have been looking through this discussion thinking what can I get my Grade 2s. They are all fairly wealthy so they have lots of stuff, but a personalised bookmark is brilliant! Thank you!

12. I got basic cushions from ikea for about £1.50 each. Bought 20 together with a couple of blankets and the Children love to snuggle down on them to read

13. fyefye

fyefye New commenter

I always try to get fun things for wet play and Golden Time
    Most popular was billiard set last year Half price BHS £15
    Football,Etch a sketch, popcorn maker, fashion templates,tills with pounds or euros, hangman games, stamps and stamp pads. I also bag any nice books or toys from the School Christmas Fair. For instance a doll and pushchair. We don't have to pay if it is useful in the classroom.
    Everything is wrapped and put into a giant Christmas bag that can be used each year.

14. How about a couple of sets of Speed Stacks stacking cups? They are great for improving hand/eye coordination and your children will love trying to beat each others times. They will be well used on wet play days and schools that use them set up leagues - even the teachers find their competitive streak! (Imagine the possibilities in numeracy lessons for collecting and sorting data!). I bought mine from Toys R us for £9.99 and the packs include all the cups and a timer. http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Toys/Games/Games/Speed-Stacks(0031262)