1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£200 for resources! What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sharpencil, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Sharpencil

Sharpencil New commenter

Looking for inspiration! I have been told that I can spend £200 on resources for my class, and I am thrilled but spoilt for choice.
    I want to get some really decent learning resources, or maybe one 'big thing' that will aid my teaching.
    I teach Year 3.
    What do you have in your classes that you really recommend or couldn't live without?

2. Sharpencil

Sharpencil New commenter

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out your websites:)
    Any ideas from teachers about what's good in your classrooms?
    Somebody has mentioned to me a gadget where you put a piece of paper into it (child's piecve of work, page from a book, etc) and it will project and image of that thing onto the board. The person who told me has no idea what it was called or how much they were etc, have any of you come across them?

3. A visualiser. http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD1726879/Easi-View-Visualiser/
    I can see the benefits, but personally think thats an awful lot of money for what it is. Generally when my class are on the carpet they can all see anything I hold up, and if not we pass round/let them come and look in more detail in small groups...im just not sure id spend £100 on the above, maybe £20!
    I think only you can identify the gaps in resourcing for your teaching - I would probably go through some catalogues and look for resources that can be used independantly in groups to support maths or literacy - I find I struggle for 'interesting and practical' maths activities for groups to do when working independantly, so would like some more resources for that kind of use.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahhh no, the visualiser does more than project work.

If children have made small models, you can project those and all can see easily and from all directions. If you project a piece of work you can then highlight connectives, punctuation, etc so not just 'looking at' the work. For small practical demonstrations in science you can project up what is happening and everyone can see at once. You can demonstrate handwriting using a normal pen and a normal piece of paper/handwriting book so it is exactly what you want the children to do.

You can also take photographs and (I think) short films.

I have one and it is definitely worth £100.

I'd also buy from TTS, one of the microphone hubs with several usb microphones. In fact I could probably just buy one of more or less everything from TTS.

5. I find the Easispeak microphones horrifically over complicated!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really? I've never used them, just think they look really useful. Don't want them if children can't use them independently.