1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£20 notes.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Polecat, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Nobody passed over £20 notes to either me or my pupils just before we were reviewed.
    Do some heads really do this?

2. DM

DM New commenter

Is this a news story I am unaware of or something?

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

I'd stay away a day a week for 20 quid!

4. I remember the thread the article refers to. So, some journalists read this forum. Next they'll have an article saying teachers don't believe in teaching long multiplication. ;)

5. hmm - i remember when sats first came in, and all pupils had to do them, no matter what; a local school claimed 100% L4 at ks2 - despite having 3 sen kids who just couldn't have
    dunno how they finessed that one
    i also remember when we first had iwb's, a group of teachers from other schools in the borough came in to view them, and i had to take out the - ahem - unreliable - kids in the class out, to ensurew a smooth presentation
    respect to the 'unreliable' kid who spent the whole lesson kvetching cos he knew exactly why he was out having 'quality time' with me

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I have not heard of £20 notes but I have had personal experience of both ot the other issues, i.e difficult student taken on a jolly while the rest are inspected and also a supply problem (often a role done by a cover supervisor in the past) was just for the 2 days of OFSTED covered by a subject leader from a neighbouring school.
    This 2 day visit was the first and last time (in the 4 years that I worked at this school) that an absent colleague was covered by a subject leader from another school. After OFSTED we returned to having a cover supervisor in front of the class.

7. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Do OFSTED really fall for all of this?

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

They knew we had a supply teacher. They didnt know it was a subject leader from a neighbouring school that had been brought in especially for the two days.
    Re behaviour and kids taken on jollies - i cant believe they dont know but have no eveidence one way or the other.
    I personally think its political in that I cant believe school get rated as good for behavior for any other reason. During our inspection I stood and watched from my classroom while students ran past a classromm pulling faces etc. and at least 2 lessons were observed where the benaviour was appauling. This was dealt with in the final report with the following statements:
    Teachers manage lessons well but, in a few cases, less effective behaviour management results in minor disruption to learning.
    A very small minority of pupils disrupt lessons on the few occasions when teachers fail to capture their interest and engage them.
    Nothing short of a cover up if you want my honest opinion.

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

What would they classify as a major disruption? No teacher, books, pens and classroom?

11. fire alarm being set off? flood? major injury to child? (thank god, never when ofsted were around, in our case)