1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£££ to train to teach mathematics

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DM, Jun 27, 2011.

1. DM

DM New commenter

2. So they are assuming better mathematicians are better teachers?

I'd like to think I'm a pretty decent teacher, but I only got a mere 2.2!

3. There you are everybody - no need to strike over pensions with all this on offer. Good old Govey.

4. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

isn't satisfactory the new bad?

5. DM

DM New commenter

Satisfactory has now been defined as the bottom half of second class.

6. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

so satisfactory potential as a student gets you £11k; satisfactory as a teacher gets you the sack....!

7. DM

DM New commenter

I'm going to respond to the consultation and say they should pay an extra £100 for every A* at A Level and £20 for every A* at GCSE (£30 for A* with distinction). A few of those on top of a first class degree would surely be worthy of the label "Mega-outstanding potential".

8. Is this backward compatible?

9. All I can say is that Gove's experience of training ITT students differs to mine. And I'm soooooo glad that he's raising the bar for trainees, as we're just drowning in applicants, and could really do with a way of distinguishing between them.

10. [​IMG]

11. Hmm, on a £23,000 salary, 3% extra pension contributions woks out at £700pa. So, someone with a first will see the £20,000 bribe whittled away in 30 years, whilst seeing their salary shrink in comparison to their mates working ar GCHQ; BigBucksBank PLC or some insurance company.

I can't see it as a great incentive for the numerate!

cyolba, doing the Maths :)

12. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Potential for what?

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

This system operates on the assumption that all 1st indicate the same level of Mathematical ability.
    Surely the wide range of entrance requirements at the different Universities would be a very clear indicator that this is not the case?

14. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

So do you take a first from Wolverhampton (no disrespect) and give them a huge amount more than a 2:1 from Cambridge?
    Do they really think there is a correlation between degree mark and ability to teach - because if they do then in my experience they are probably wrong. To teach Secondary numpties to jump through the GCSE grade C hoops requires a huge degree of TEACHING skill and not much above a good GCSE levle of maths.
    Ofcourse A Level and step is a diffeent matter but Grammer and independant schools arent the ones short of teachers.

15. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

and to cybola - while i agree the 3% pension issue is as nothing because most of their peers - i.e those with good maths degrees who didnt fail for the bribe and got a decent job will be earning twice as much anyway

16. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would beg to differ. A friend of mine at a big HMC school told me last year that a job advert for a mathematician netted just two applicants.

There are few schools that are not acutely aware that not only is it difficult to recruit good staff, it is even more difficult to stop them jumping ship when someone else offers them promotion and an enhanced salary.

17. not necessarily - you can know it all and be incapable of expplaining any of it, to anyone

18. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

flora -i find your post rather insulting and I can not understand why you feel the need for such a personal attack?
    I my experience an excellent degree does not necessarily imply an excellent teacher - I have met many excellent mathematcians who cant teach for toffee - does this offend you?
    I would employ an excellent teacher over an excellent mathmatician any day and while both is ofcourse they ideal - unless you are teaching A Level and above teaching ability is far more important in my opinion.

19. sorry - i wasn't disagreeing with your first para - i totally agree with it - i thought your second para was saying a maths genius would be fine teaching a level/top students, and was saying even then being a teacher is way more important than having a top degree

20. Wow!
    That IS naive!
    Outstandingly so, if you don't mind my saying.
    Don't disagree with the thought though ........... [​IMG]