1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

¡No Pasarán!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by SMT dude, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

General Strike today in that constellation of autonomous communities which we old fools were taught at school to call 'Spain'.
    [​IMG]
    There are many readers of this forum in that country today. The rest of the world awaits news from the front line...

2. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    <b style="color:#000000;font-family:Arial;font-size:16px;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;orphans:2;text-align:center;text-indent:0px;text-transform:none;white-space:normal;widows:2;word-spacing:0px;background-color:#efefef;">[/b]

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

&iexcl;buenaaa!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Can't compete with Rachels' 5-star contribution.
    [​IMG]
    Here in S Spain there is no industry (shift workers in the North due to start at 22.00 last night didn't turn up in many of the automotive and alimentary industries). In fact there is practically no employment - 40% unemployed.
    The strikes in Andalucia have so far affected:
    • buses, trains and planes, which have a very reduced service. No scenes here as in Barcelona where they built burning barricades in front of bus garages to prevent drivers getting to work.
    • rubbish collections. Interestingly, in our town, huge but neat piles of rubbish have accumulated in front of the HQ of the two main political parties. I cannot believe that they actually generated that many black bags. Again, not seen or heard anything like the tv scenes from Barcelona where containers were overturned and rubbish deliberately scattered.
    • schools. Children were told yesterday that attendance was "opcional", so . . .
    • bars and restaurants in prominent positions. These didn't open as a precaution, but there has been little persuasion from the piquetes (except in Marbella casco viejo, where what can only be described as a mob, 400-strong, went through persuading shops and bars to close). Bars in non-prominent positions were doing a roaring trade as all the mothers took their kids out for breakfast as a treat.
    • Construction sector. 2 neighbours working, one a skilled bricklayer the other a plasterer, were told that they had to strike . . .
    All the municipal offices (town hall, tourist office, public library, cultural centre) that I passed were open as normal, as were both post offices. Can't say whether there were any deliveries, as we don't get much post.
    The main impact of the strike has been as a subject of conversation, although not quite outweighing the number one topic of the body thrown up by the waves on the beach yesterday afternoon at 5pm . . .Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

All schools closed. Autov&iacute;a very quiet on the way to the airport this morning. Small demonstration en la madrugada according to folk who had overnighted there. Most Easyjet & Ryanair flights cancelled. All four Monarch flights flew which is why I'm typing this in my son's flat in view of sunny Preston Park with the magnolias in bloom.

6. rachel_g41

Why thank you kindly sir. That was M&aacute;laga around lunchtime.
    Some of the big demos are just getting underway now but in Andalucia most places opted for midday instead.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

What exactly does going on strike - leading to a loss of revenue - do to aid a country that is severely in debt?
    Is there some Iberian logic in all of this that escapes my Northern European sensibilities?

8. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

The news on Spanish radio said the main reason for the strike was against the government's wishes to make it easier for businesses to sack workers...thus 'helping' the employment situation!!

9. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

Oooh yes, because Spanish employers are SOOOOO respectful of the employment laws that exist already! (Wife of someone who had to sign many bits of paper 'voluntarily' giving up his rights to a finiquito at the end of his employment - before he was even allowed to start work)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Especially as the last general strike, just after the new PP (conservative) govt took over, just ignored entirely the protests and then went ahead and introduced their new law anyway.
    The loss of production in the car factories and their suppliers has been causing some anguish in some papers.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Inspired by Rachel, I went out and about to get a stunning photo.
    Nothing doing.
    This was the best I could do:
    <ul id="notes" class="boxes notes-visible">[/LIST]

[​IMG][/LIST]

[​IMG]_______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

In Spain, as elsewhere in Europe, there exist economists and politicians and even people-you-meet-at-the-fish-stall who maintain that if it were easier to hire employees without immediately committing to a guarantee of lifelong work, pension packages, holidays, lunch and transport subsidies and payoff compensations, the employment scene would be immediately if slightly eased, especially for younger people desperate to enter, at any level, a workforce which the baby-boom generation have ring-fenced for themselves.
    But these theoreticians must be secret foaming-at-the-mouth fascists, unlike the group of friendly community facilitators TheoGriff described, who sacrificed a sunny Marbella morning in order gently to persuade the traders of the old town to refrain from earning their daily crust in the interests of... ... what exactly?
    I take no side in this abstruse debate, being interested in nothing but the quality, price, rarity and softness of the feathers in my own nest.
    (sent from my blueberry via the free wi-fi service in the Marquis de Sade suite here at the Pleasure Garden Hotel, Knightsbridge, where I am 'recruiting'. Mai Tai would send you all a beijinho too, but she's tired now, poor little thing)

13. rachel_g41

I feel like RipVanWinkle. This is the first general strike since the new govt took over. Isn't it?

14. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Lovely Wisteria, Theo.
    The jacarandas will soon be blossoming here, a sight that always reconciles me to whatever the future may bring.
    I still don't think we will have to endure what our parents, grandparents and their mums and dads had to cope with, 1889-1989 in any European country you care to mention.
    But one gets used to a privileged lifestyle, n'est-ce-pas?
    Now, where are the hotel staff with the fresh towels I called for?

15. I got it the first time Dude. Thanks for the poster. Gone are the days when you could buy those posters in la Feria de Libros en El Retiro for 200 pesetas.
    64% of the teachers and one SMT went on strike at my school yesterday, Apparently the head and the DOS did very long yard duties in Early Years as there were only two teachers to cover 6 classes.
    I wonder if the 16 'practicas' were left in classes alone, if so we will lodge a complaint to the inspectorate.
    Not bad results for a very small 'conservative' town.
    &iexcl;No Pasar&aacute;n!

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it is - the last one wasn't general, and I got that wrong, and you are right.
    Yesterday there were only an average of 6 pupils per class in our school - and 95% of the teachers were in. The missing 5% was me going home early.
    Best wishes

17. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Wonderful place. Haven't been to Madrid for ages - trust it is still there?

18. And the second time. I like hyphens too.
    Conc&eacute;ntrate t&iacute;o and fight for higher salaries for your teachers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ppRs1mC4Sc
    &iexcl;Aguanta! It's only 4mins 37secs.
    Good luck with the recruiting. [​IMG]