1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

16% of schools 'pass' English Bac

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by gruoch, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

2. How long has Gove got as Education secretary any way? He is a dead man walking in the job.
    The bloke is an out of touch public school buffoon.

3. I can just imagine the scene. Last year a new out of Business School Researcher arrived in the Education Office:
    "I have a fantastic idea for getting the press to say that only 1 in 6 schools are achieving. Let's crate a new benchmark and backdate it so that nobody had any chance to prepare for it!! We'll be able to blame it on the last party."

4 year later, with a new party in power, and there is a 60% pass rate for the English Bacc, the next new researcher arrives and persuades his boss to intoduce the Big Society Benchmark. You have to get grade C or above in Latin, Design Technology (Resistant Materials), Politics, and Mandarin Chinese.
    " There you are Sir. It's perfect. No school will ever guess that combination so we can have a great headline - 'After 5 years of Tory misrule all schools are failing.' "

Luckily (?) I teach in Wales so it doesn't hit us - yet!

4. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Fair enough to the idea that there should be more of a focus on academic subjects and less focus on courses like BTECs.
    The problem is that in the dream-team subject list some academic subjects are not included and are now feeling the 'pinch' quite unfairly now that option time is approaching... [​IMG]

5. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

I'm sure it's possible to increase academic rigour without this draconian restriction of choice!

6. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

There's uncertainty for RE too with, despite being as academic and rigourous as history or geography. Plus the fact that Give keeps referring to Religious Studies, which hasn't existed for 20 years, makes the future of RE look bleak. Great news on my PGCE course.

7. Quite.
    Why should academically-able children be forced into this particular straightjacket? Why should, for example, pupils who cannot do languages, for reasons such as being Elective Mute, be effectively excluded? Why can't there be a broader range of subjects from which to choose the two subjects added to English, Maths and Science?
    Or why not just exclude vocational qualifications such as the BTEC, and simply restrict the EBac to 5 actual GCSEs?

8. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Why?
    What use is French to joiner?

9. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I do wish people would not keep saying this. BTECs are far more suitable courses for some pupils. Surely this IS 'giving consideration to pupils'.
    10 GCSEs grade F and G are not worth more than a Distinction in resistant materials BTEC if that is the job a pupil wants to do.

10. A qualification is only 'worth' what it means to the student. Forcing kids to take a language when they can barely speak English will do nothing for their self-esteem or help them in later life when they become a fantastic hairdresser/bookie/joiner/bricklayer.
    B-Techs and diplomas were brought in so EVERY child could achieve in an area appropriate to them, I have nothing against a traditional GCSE but I think it should be alongside qualifications that mean something to the kids and will benefit them.
    Gove is trying to force an Etonian education on every child in the country because that is all he knows and understands.
    Of course lets not forget that Every Child no longer Matters...