1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

16 month induction rule.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon3407, May 28, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Was wondering if you'd be able to help me out.

I'm just coming to the end of my PGCE and due to lack of job availability have signed up with a few agencies to hopefully get some work.

I was just wondering exactly what the 'rule' is regarding only having 16 months to do my induction or something (wasn't aware of this until recently).

Thanks.

2. Hi guys,

Was wondering if you'd be able to help me out.

I'm just coming to the end of my PGCE and due to lack of job availability have signed up with a few agencies to hopefully get some work.

I was just wondering exactly what the 'rule' is regarding only having 16 months to do my induction or something (wasn't aware of this until recently).

Thanks.

3. darkness

darkness New commenter

Well the rule is there, but who is checking it really? The only ones I know who do are if you are signed up with the LA supply pool. If with an agency people tend to continue supplying even beyond the 16 months. The GTC sure don't keep records, there is absolutely nothing on the forms to even suggest they do. They just ask if you have completed induction etc, you leave blank if not. That's it.

as for induction in Jubilees post, I don't think you will find any changes in reality. Induction in the formal sense just simply needs to be scrapped. New teachers can continue to develop and have help, but there is no need for these limits etc etc. if a teacher is failing then they should just be subject to current regs of competency procedures. If you have to complete NQT induction the PGCE courses and any other 1 year log teaching course should be scrapped and replaced by a 2 year one instead, with a guarantee 2nd year to complete the whole bloody thing.