1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

16 Lessons of RE

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by raebow79, Jan 29, 2016.

1. raebow79

raebow79 New commenter

I'm hoping someone might be able to offer me a little advice. Im head of RE in a secondary school and have stumbles into teaching RE (I'm ICT trained) but discovered a love for the subject! im a one man band and there are no other RE teachers in school. I'm faced with only seeing my KS3 students for 8 weeks per year (that's a total of 16 lessons).

I've been making the best of the time I have by delivering the below topics, and while the students are engaging and seem to be getting on with the curriculum I'm now thinking I need to raise the stakes and expectations I have. Initially the below themes were picked to engage the students who up until last year didn't recve RE as a dedicated lesson. I Now have the hearts and minds but don't know where to go next.

Year 7 - Beliefs
    Looking at everything from Animism, paganism, brief look at the main world religions roughly a lessons on each. , a lesson on Rastafarianism and scientology ending in an assessment on their own beliefs and how these are developed and how they are influenced.

Year 8 - MLK
    Looking at MLK as a role model, who influenced him and how he influenced others, we also introduce the Golden rule, and the parable of the good Samaritan. we look at Emmett Till, the KKK and how they portray themselves as Christians. we cover the ideas of religious freedoms and aspects on community cohesion from the old GCSE speck. I also introduce GCSE exam answering skills for B questions (excel). finishing with ban assessment on their role models and a comparison to MLK.

Year 9 - I'm the most confident with this one
    we deliver the crime and punishment unit from excels speck to the more able students and they finish by sitting a mock exam paper on the crime and punishment section. The lower students we look at Genocide - Holocaust and Rwanda.

I'm really keen to develop my curriculum and my department so hoping that someone might be able to offer some well needed guidance and support.

Thanks in advance!

2. amchugh

amchugh New commenter

Hi

I've been teaching RE for ten years so I know your plight! You can find me on twitter at @guruteaching and I'd be more than happy to give you a hand.

Andy