1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 month old with some sort of insomnia

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by lilypot, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hi there
    I would like some advice from people who have experienced something similar. I know there are lots of threads on babies who won't sleep and although mine is similar, there is something unusual about it.
    My daughter gets plenty of fresh air in the day, a nap after lunch and goes to bed at 7pm. She zonks out straight away - yay! However, she will wake in the night (can be any time) and she can be awake FOR HOURS! She just can not, will not go back to sleep. We do give her a bottle of milk to go to bed with - always have done and whilst this is a comforter, it doesn't seem to help when she wakes in the night.
    She can be crying, stand up throw the bottle out, then cry because she doesn't have the bottle. It's as if she's trying to get our attention (but not as in a play-attention way). We try changing her, teething stuff, massaging her, etc but it just doesn't help. She will often go quiet again, then cry 5 minutes later - as if she's remembered she was crying and starts up again. This went on for 3 hours last night (and her record is 5 hours).
    It has been going on for a few weeks now and whilst I'm sure part of it is teething (she seems to be getting all her teeth at the moment), surely with teething stuff and calpol she should be able to fall asleep? We don't take her comforters out (i.e. the bottle) so it's not like she hasn't got what she originally went to sleep with?
    Is there anything I can do - has anyone gone to the doctors about it? My friend said get drowsy medicine for her (via the doctor) as that what she did (15 years ago) as the good night sleep 're-set' the body clock but not sure if there is any drowsy medicine the doctor could/would prescribe?

2. Hi there
    I would like some advice from people who have experienced something similar. I know there are lots of threads on babies who won't sleep and although mine is similar, there is something unusual about it.
    My daughter gets plenty of fresh air in the day, a nap after lunch and goes to bed at 7pm. She zonks out straight away - yay! However, she will wake in the night (can be any time) and she can be awake FOR HOURS! She just can not, will not go back to sleep. We do give her a bottle of milk to go to bed with - always have done and whilst this is a comforter, it doesn't seem to help when she wakes in the night.
    She can be crying, stand up throw the bottle out, then cry because she doesn't have the bottle. It's as if she's trying to get our attention (but not as in a play-attention way). We try changing her, teething stuff, massaging her, etc but it just doesn't help. She will often go quiet again, then cry 5 minutes later - as if she's remembered she was crying and starts up again. This went on for 3 hours last night (and her record is 5 hours).
    It has been going on for a few weeks now and whilst I'm sure part of it is teething (she seems to be getting all her teeth at the moment), surely with teething stuff and calpol she should be able to fall asleep? We don't take her comforters out (i.e. the bottle) so it's not like she hasn't got what she originally went to sleep with?
    Is there anything I can do - has anyone gone to the doctors about it? My friend said get drowsy medicine for her (via the doctor) as that what she did (15 years ago) as the good night sleep 're-set' the body clock but not sure if there is any drowsy medicine the doctor could/would prescribe?

3. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

My little girl, who is now nearly 4, was just the same. We never went to the doctor's, although I did mention it to the health visitor at her 2 year check who just said she didn't need much sleep. My husband is the same so we have put it down to that. Dropping naps made no difference, neither did going to bed later.
    We never found any reason for why she would wake, which she did most nights, and like you there was no set time during the night. She would want to go downstairs, watch tv, play, anything to stay awake really. We tried putting books and quiet toys like jigsaws in her room but she would want us to get up to play too!
    Sorry that I don't really have any advice apart from to say you're not alone and while it's a nightmare for you it probably isn't having any effect on her.

4. This has been very interesting in order to make things work out for an insomiac kid. If you would add up some accessories on the kids bed like a good kids bedding and other things, I think it can be a good factor. Other than that, try to consult it with others and as well as with the doctors in order to help you out in this one. Thanks!

5. I agree with butlers dog. If lily requests that she discusses and processes her thoughts on her knowings on this then I agree a toddler bed and such things will assist in approving of a method. Hahahahahahaha. ;-) ! Hope you had a better night last night lily x

6. Haha SR you made me giggle there!
    Lily, my friend told me that her son always woke up in the middle of the night, like N does. What she did was just take him downstairs and play, bake (!!) read, watch TV... then after an hour or so he would go back to bed and back to sleep. Bizarre I know but it might be better than 5 hours of batttling! Also then at least one of the parents gets to sleep well each night! She did this for a few years... the boy is 32 now and he does sleep now lol!!
    We do something similar because my little man thinks 4.30 am is the morning, so one of us just gets up for the day with him if settling really not working. He doesn't need a lot of sleep either (yawn.)
    The only things I can think of to check are hungry, thirsty, nappy, in pain, too hot, too cold, too dark, too light, or wants more cuddles in the day time lol!
    Have you tried leaving her crying for a bit to see what happens?
    I hope you had a better night xx

7. eh?! Think I'm with you SR!
    Thanks guys.
    Last night, N was up for about 1.5 hrs. We have taken her out and let her play for a bit but then even that doesn't work sometimes! Think teething is just really bad for her.
    I've got her some 'Night Rescue Remedy' which is a homeopathic liquid that is meant to settle. Hopefully this might just calm her down enough to go to sleep. We shall see!

8. HAHAHAHAHA!!

9. It is quite scary how companies trawl the Internet for threads like this, hawking their tat to vulnerable parents desperate for an answer... Luckily we're TESSers, the gits! Lily - is this a recent thing or always been the case? I wonder if it's a developmental stage? I find Saaha always has a tough patch with sleeping just before aquiring a new skill like crawling, walking etc.