1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 minute literacy lesson for year 5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lbrown87, May 7, 2012.

1. Hello all :)
    I have an interview lesson coming up based in a mixed year 5/6 class. They have asked me to do a 15minute literacy lesson and I'm feeling a little lost as I'm currently working in year 1.
    I'm thinking of doing an alliterative poem but not sure it would be appropriate for this age group? I thought about doing a brief recap on alliteration then giving them a number in pairs for them to write an alliterative sentence on a strip of paper. At the end I would draw them back to create a class alliterative number poem and briefly discuss effect of alliteration.
    If not, I thought maybe personification poetry or performance?
    15 mins seems like such a short time eeek!!
    I would be really grateful of any advice,
    LB

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Honestly? I think alliteration is a little "young" for year 5/6, mine are currently happily writing poems with personification, metaphors and similes, they might think alliteration a little beneath them!
    I would go along the lines of personification poetry, but 15 minutes doesn't give you long for anything!

3. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

With only 15 minutes, I would think about doing a search on VCOP activities.

4. Fifteen minutes is crackers!! How can you show AFl and relationship with children etc in that??? Poem sounds nice - do concentrate on the effect of alliteration for year 6! If I had to show Literacy in 15 mins this time of year ( I teach y6) I'd keep it simple and interactive too. Perhaps a bit of uplevelling. Show them how to add eg/ personfication or eg/ repetition for impact OR eg/ embed a clause in a sentence. Thenyou can quick demo modelling. Then write a simple sentence and get them to uplevel using your criteria on their whiteboard. Get children to share and use their work as good models too. To build a bit of a relationship with the children, you can try adding humour to the sentences etc. ???? 15 mins is really short! Good luck x

5. Thank you for the responses and honesty :) Glad I took the advice to steer clear of alliteration! I decided to do a session on identifying and using imagery (with some humour, sentences and uplevelling thrown in) and guess what? I got the job! :) Still can't quite believe it!
    Thanks again!
    LB x

6. Congrats! Woop Woop!

7. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Well done [​IMG]