1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 minute lesson for interview - help!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by eyeontheball, Mar 28, 2008.

1. I have done 15 minute lessons at interview. Usually you write up a full lesson, teach the first 15 then the lesson ends. You make sure the observers have your full lesson plan to see how the lesson would have progressed.

Usually these lessons are to see how you work with the kids rather than what you teach. Check with the school before going for interview.

Good luck

2. Hi, I would take in a large book such as Goldilocks.
    Have the children sitting on the carpet and ask them quick fire questions such as Who is the author? Who is the Illustrator? Who knows this story/can tell me briefly what happens in this story?
    Then start reading the story. Point out one or two bits of punctuation to discuss eg for an exclamamtion mark ask What is this called? Why is it used? Repeat for eg speech marks.
    Stop the story at a crucial part eg when the bears discover Goldilocks is in their home. Ask the children How would the bears be feeling at this moment? How might Goldilocks be feeling at this point? Then quickly put the children into pairs (one being Goldilocks the other eg Baby Bear)and tell them they're going to create a Freeze Frame depicting how the characters would be feeling at that moment in time. Model an example with a willing and confident child. Then give the children 2/3 mins in their pairs to prepare their own freeze frame.
    Be sure to tell the children that on your signal eg clap 3 times, raise your hand all the children are to stop what they're doing and look at you. (Behaviour Management is crucial so that you can quickly re-group the children).
    Then ask all the children at the same time on the count of 3 to show their freeze frames. Tell them the need for silence and stillness during their freeze frames. It's all about their body language and facial expressions. Pick out one or two pairs to demonstate their freeze frames to rest of class. Ask questions to rest of class eg How is Goldilocks feeling? What makes you say that? How is the bear feeling? Why?
    That should cover 15 mins easily. If your doing Literacy this activity ticks the right boxes such as working with talk partners and focussing on speaking and listening skills. The overall objective focuses on empathising with character's feelings but be sure to write down the speaking and istening objectives in your plan which no doubt they will ask for at interview.
    Good luck!

3. i did a 15 min literacy starter for my inteview too. I dont think you should worry too much about differentiation - how are you supposed to know the abilities of the children?! I would just include differentiation in your lesson plan to show how you would plan for it if you were doing a whole lesson. I think its prob more to see how you iteract with the children and your teaching methods.

Personally i would just focus on asking lots of open questions and giving lots of praise and encouragement - i think it also looks good if you make a point of asking their names and trying to remember them (though this would prob only be any use if it is a small group!)

best of luck :D

4. We were suggested by a tutor to do something with rhyming if we had to do a short lesson. I have done some rhyming stuff in school and the kids catch on to it quite quickly. If you have a poem or something you have used or like and you can ask the children to change the words and think of alternate words to make a new poem, the kids could work in talking partner to think of different rhymes, and at the end you could play rhyme tennis where you think of a word and pretend to hit a ball and a kid says a word that rhymes and pretends to hit a ball to another person. Does this help? Hope so!xx