1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 minute 'activity' for y4 post - help please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by julesrewls, Oct 22, 2018.

1. julesrewls

julesrewls New commenter

Hi All,

Was wondering if any of you guys could help me please.

I'm an experienced English teacher but left my job in the Summer as I made the decision to switch to teaching primary via supply work to gain some experience.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot yet in Primary schools, but I have managed to land an interview next week for a y4 position, with the brief of delivering a 15 min activity with a clear objective which is achieved in the 15 mins.

My idea atm is to use a writing frame / fill in the blanks to get students to create their own limericks. Having looked at the NC objectives though, not sure that this fits in with any of them. Would this be a suitable activity for a y4 class or should I try and think of something different to do?

Thanks.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

… was asked for.
    … you've found that limericks do not fit any objectives.
    So look at the objectives and then plan an activity - not the other way round. I'm sure you'll find something that you feel confident to teach and that clearly meets the task you have been set.

Good luck with your interview.

digoryvenn and julesrewls like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You're quite right in that you need to start from what you want the children to learn and then work out the activity.
    EDIT Just seen marlin's said something similar.

Having said that I could see
    En4/3.3a Plan their writing by:
    1. discussing writing similar to that which they are planning to write in order to understand and learn from its structure, vocabulary and grammar
    2. discussing and recording ideas
    En4/3.3b Draft and write by:
    1. composing and rehearsing sentences orally (including dialogue), progressively building a varied and rich vocabulary and an increasing range of sentence structures (See English Appendix 2)
    2. organising paragraphs around a theme

• extending the range of sentences with more than one clause by using a wider range of conjunctions, including when, if, because, although
    could all be possible objectives which could be taught using the medium of drafting limerick type sentences.

digoryvenn and julesrewls like this.
  4. julesrewls

julesrewls New commenter

Thanks @marlin @Lara mfl 05 . I worded my question poorly - I was kind of asking if it did fit any of the NC objectives for y4 / was an age appropriate activity. From what you've said, @Lara mfl 05 , it looks like it could work if I use En4/3.3a ...

5. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

Maybe try a Grammar lesson instead? Short, achievable in 15 minutes, can be complete on whiteboards?

Ideas: fronted adverbials, using conjunction, similes / metaphor, personification, idioms etc.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

@Northern_Miss. The OP posted for an interview the following week, si slightly too late. :(

By the way @julesrewls how did it go?

7. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter