1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 mins observation for interview - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mrskhan10692, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have an interview next week and I have to teach 6 year 3 children about money calculations with an emphasis on mathematical vocabulary. How can I fit something like this in 15 minutes? Somebody please help!

2. Hi
    I have an interview next week and I have to teach 6 year 3 children about money calculations with an emphasis on mathematical vocabulary. How can I fit something like this in 15 minutes? Somebody please help!

3. I'm secondary maths, so I may not have the 'mathematical vocabulary' bit right but I would probably focus on all the different cues for add and subtract: you know, "what is 15p more than" "what would the whole basket cost" "what is the difference in price between..."
    At secondary level it's always frustrating to find kids who can't decide which operator to use and when, especially with more wordy questions, so all the practise they can get is good...
    Plenty of blown-up pictures of coins and notes, or plastic coins if you can get your hands on them, and try to find a game you feel confident to use. Good luck [​IMG]

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd play shops with them. You have very few children, so be the shopkeeper and get them to buy items from you. Pretend the till has broken and get them to add up the cost. If they seem pretty able get them to work out change as well.