1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 min session to intro me to class - ideas?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by winnieg, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I am on PGCE placement and my mentor has said I need to do a 15/20 min session with the children next week as a way to introduce myself to them as being another teacher in the room. She has suggested that I read a story with them...can anyone suggest a good picture book or short story for Y3 or a different 15 min activity that will engage them and they will learn something from! I have some ideas of a book I could read with them but am interested in what others might read or any other activities people might have tried. I am a bit nervous but also eager to get stuck in! They are a nice class with a few noisy boys but they are pretty good on the whole, just a few chatterboxes!
    Any ideas appreciated.

2. gandy

gandy New commenter

Read Aesop's Fables to the children - they
    always have a theme/ moral to each individual story.

3. annap3

annap3 New commenter

I had a student in my class and he had a hort session to introduce himself to the class. Rather than just doing that he gave a powerpoint presentation to the children about himself (hobbies, favourite food / TV / football team etc) and finished it with a slide about his expectations etc - the children absolutely loved it! He finished by reading a couple of funny poems.
    It was years ago but really stuck with me.