1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 min interview lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissLizzie17, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I've just this minute received a letter inviting me to my very first interview for a teaching position, and amongst my screaming excited I have just realised that I have to teach a lesson to the year 3/4 class that the position is for. It's not that I mind the teaching side of things, after all that is the job that I'm hoping to be doing next year, but the letter states that I am to teach a 15 minute lesson which can be on a topic of my choice. I'm now undertaking the difficult activity of trying to think of an exciting and motivating lesson for this mixed class.
    I recently bought an "empathy doll" and used it (to the children's great pleasure) in my final placement to much success. At the beginning of my practice I set the children an activity to write a letter to the doll (who's name is Patrick) to persuade him to come and join the class. As this activity went so well and the children in my placement class (who were also year 3) responded so well to the empathy doll, I was thinking of doing a similar activity for my interview.
    My intention is to take the doll with me and introduce him to the class. I then plan to tell the children that I think he should attend the school but that I know very little about the school having only visited it twice. I'm planning to carry out a kind of circle time style activity or small groups (I can't decide) and get the children to discuss what kind of things they could tell Patrick about the school to persuade him to come. I was then thinking about asking them to write down (on a big sheet of paper) a sentence that they could write to persuade Patrick.
    I'm not sure if my idea is too long/ ambitious or even not enough to show what I can do for an interview lesson. Also i'm not really sure about expectations in relation to differentiation for an interview lesson, especially because there's a child with Autism in the class.
    Any help/comments would be gratefully received.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No learning objective?

3. Hey, your empathy doll idea sounds fab! I'd prepare a poster sized letter that the children help you to finish. What about getting the children in pairs to think of persuasive phrases, write them on post-it notes so that they can stick their phrases into your letter. Eg Dear Patrick, please join our class because ______ and also ____ we feel that _____ and in addition _______. Well, you get the idea!
    Good luck!

4. The lesson idea sounds great and clearly links to persuasive writing in Literacy. I like daybyday's idea, as this will help keep within your 15 min time frame. GOOD LUCK.

5. I dont want to seem like im being negative on placement that would be a fab idea. I'm not sure if this is going to be confusing or too long winded for a 15min lesson?
    I had my interview May and I totally know the position you are in.
    I was told that most schools are looking for a good paced snappy lesson that shows a clear learning objective.
    Some sort of assessment. (I use thumbs up thumbs down before the children move off to start main activity and smiley/sad faces at the end of the lesson.)
    Talking partners.
    Something to stimulate the children (short movie, clip, extract, bright resources.)
    Starter, Main teaching, Activity, Plenary format.

The key thing is pace and keeping the children interested.
    For differentiation it depends really on the subject.
    If you are going to do some sort of writing activity maybe tell LA- that you expect them to include (connectives, full stops, CL.) Change for different ability groups. 15min goes so fast,

Another thing is to ask children their names when they answer questions. Also go up to the children when they are talking in partners and comment on an idea that they have had.

I hope this helps x