1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

15 - 20 minute lesson ob for interview....year 4....erm....!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crysys, May 7, 2012.

1. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I've never experienced such a short session before. Have you? Have all sorts of ideas for a lesson length one but am a bit stumped on this. I thought of perhaps a class game on words beginning with....S - nouns, adjectives etc. Each table group has to come up and fill in a column on a large sheet alongside the others, one at a time, within a time limit. Repeats disallowed...extra point for longer words - 'wow' words maybe. Then plenary looking at selection and then perhaps pulling out and linking some words illustrating alliteration. 20 mins will go quickly so I thought 5 mins for introduction, 5 mins brainstorm, 5 mins writing up and then 5 mins plenary, where I can also try and elicit the idea of it being teamwork and also situations where such words can be used in lessons. I think they are looking for interaction, pace and engagement. What do you think? Any other ideas would be gratefully read.

2. crysys

I've never experienced such a short session before. Have you? Have all sorts of ideas for a lesson length one but am a bit stumped on this. I thought of perhaps a class game on words beginning with....S - nouns, adjectives etc. Each table group has to come up and fill in a column on a large sheet alongside the others, one at a time, within a time limit. Repeats disallowed...extra point for longer words - 'wow' words maybe. Then plenary looking at selection and then perhaps pulling out and linking some words illustrating alliteration. 20 mins will go quickly so I thought 5 mins for introduction, 5 mins brainstorm, 5 mins writing up and then 5 mins plenary, where I can also try and elicit the idea of it being teamwork and also situations where such words can be used in lessons. I think they are looking for interaction, pace and engagement. What do you think? Any other ideas would be gratefully read.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

What's your focus? Alliteration? If that's the case, less time on the brain storming, more focus on that.

4. crysys

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of having such a specific focus. The subject matter is up to me. I guess I thought that a game within literacy would be enough. Will think some more. Thank you.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I think Lillipad is right and you need a specific learning objective. Choose that and fit your idea based on what you want them to learn.

6. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I would agree, in such a short lesson you need to keep it really tight and focused because they want to see some kind of progress, even in such a short lesson. Seems strange to only give you that little an amount of time though, doesn't give you a lot of room to do a great deal. I'd probably have gone for a Numeracy activity personally, planning a whole lesson but then just doing the main activity but that's me and that's where my strengths are. I think as long as you focus what you've got planned, you'll be fine.

7. crysys

Well, I took the advice of having a more focused LO on alliteration which helped tremendously. The lesson went well (even though they substituted a year 3 for the 4 at the last minute!) BUT...I still overplanned and made the mistake of sitting the chn on the carpet instead of at desks, where I had laid out their equipment. 20 mins flew by. I took in a kitchen pinger to help the pace. There wasn't time for chn to write anything - not least because they were not at desks! I squeezed in everything - including a one minute plenary, reflecting on the LO and SC. I won't hear til Friday as they are interviewing all week so I'd like to thank all for helping me feel good about the day. x

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I wouldn't expect them to do any formal writing in a 20 minute session, I would have included some whiteboard though. Good luck!

9. crysys

Well, I got the job! I was so surprised as there were lots of other candidates, my lesson wasn't perfect, I am UPS1 and 56 years old and.... as I sat down in the interview I asked if there was a gin in my glass of water! Haha! It goes to show that you never really know what qualities are being looked for! x