1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

14 Years Teaching Experience - now want to teach EYFS - how do I go about this? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by applesnpears, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Hello,

I was wondering if somebody out there could give me some advice as I think I need it! My family and I relocated last summer and I have spent this year settling the children in. I need to get back to work and have decided I would really like to get into EYFS but the only experience I have is during my last post in a Nurture Group for Key Stage 1 that followed EYFS principles - so not mainstream.

A bit of background -

I am a qualified teacher of 14 years (PGCE in secondary History and Literacy - but only did a year of that before branching into SEN, mainly BESD territory).

I have worked in three secondary schools, one of which was a BESD residential school for girls and another within the speech and language unit of a mainstream school. I have also worked in four primary schools, two of these were SEN schools, one a BESD residential school for boys and the other was a PMLD/SLD school and my most recent post was as a Nurture Group teacher within a mainstream infant school. I have also been a tutor for excluded children and a Primary Music Teacher to boot!

I have therefore had the good fortune to experience teaching pupils from Year R to Year 11 in both mainstream and SEN settings. I really would like to branch out into mainstream now and feel I would be suited to EYFS.

What would you recommend? Do I need to get some TA experience within this field? If I do this, is this going to look good or bad further down the line when I apply for teaching jobs? I know I am qualified to teach across the age range with QTS but definitely need experience and know if I just apply for jobs I will surely be looked over in favour of those with EYFS mainstream experience. Has anyone had any experience of this?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Many thanks!