1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

14 day quarantine for air arrivals

Discussion in 'Independent' started by CabbageWhite20, May 9, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

This is on the news this morning. Not definite yet obviously and who knows how long it would be in place for, but I imagine this would affect the number of overseas pupils who commit to next term’s fees (as if there wasn’t enough to discourage them already). I understand safety being paramount and I’m not against it. I think it will really affect boarding school numbers though.

ajrowing likes this.
  2. SiriusB

SiriusB New commenter

Surely a fairly simple solution would be that the students arrive two weeks before the beginning of term so they can finish their quarantine before the start of lessons? Not ideal, but not impossible.

3. CabbageWhite20

2 weeks before term begins + 2 weeks on the way home afterwards - other than uni students moving over here for the full year that sounds quite a big ask to me. And where would they quarantine? I can’t see many guardians being up for that, if they could even provide isolation. Do you envisage schools offering it on site? If I was overseas I’d not consider sending a child abroad for that.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Can boarding schools not organise a boarding house for those returning from abroad? Staffed by adults in the least vulnerable groups?

Or the pupils quarantine wherever the country puts everyone arriving? Probably a hotel or some halls of residence somewhere.

5. CabbageWhite20

I suppose if it keeps going that long we’ll find out! The isolation has to be isolated though, so I think each pupil would need to be in en-suite accommodation and have no contact with others until their 14 days was up. It looks like the country doesn’t provide it though, it has to be organised by the individual (or receiving school I suppose). I wouldn’t want to put a child through that.

6. SiriusB

SiriusB New commenter

It's obviously not ideal and it certainly couldn't be done long term but we are all hoping that we won't need to do this long term. If I was a student, I would prefer to go back to my school and my friends, even if it meant self-isolation for two weeks (obviously I'd have to stay put for half term) than to start in a new school half way through my education, especially as it would probably mean a different educational system as well.

I do think it will have a more noticeable effect on year 7 pupils, however, cause ultimately why not stay in your home country if you are starting in a new school anyway... and it's even harder to imagine an 11-12 year old self-isolating all on their own.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If introduced, which I think is likely, I doubt that the requirement for 14 days quarantine will last as far as the autumn term, given that the R ratio in most of the UK is now quite low.