1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

14 - 19 schools?

Discussion in 'English' started by roa182, May 7, 2012.

1. roa182

roa182 New commenter

Anyone work in a 14 - 19 school? What would you say the main differences are, from a 11 - 19, and how do you cope with them? Thanks :)

2. roa182

roa182 New commenter

Anyone work in a 14 - 19 school? What would you say the main differences are, from a 11 - 19, and how do you cope with them? Thanks :)

3. I worked in a 14-19 school some years ago. The main thing that we noticed was that Y9 were much easier to deal with, as they seemed to become the 'first years' of the school.

4. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

The marking is hell; most of my classes are exam classes and I miss the lighter load of Year 7 +8 where you can have a bit more fun and there is a bit less pressure on results.
    I have two year 9, two year 10, two year 11, a year 12 and Year 13, and because I teach English, I see them all 3 times a week, so marking is much heavier.
    That said, it is nice to start with them being a bit more grown up.

5. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I agree that yr9 seem younger, but they quickly became just as difficult as yr9s in an 11-18 school ime. Also agree with the pressure/workload issue. I taught pre-abolition of SATs in a 14-19 school, which insisted on early entry for GCSE. Every single group I taught was an exam group.
    Gained time/summer term was great though! Got loads done, especially as yr10 went on work experience then.
    Did enjoy working there. Missed the relative freedom and fun of yr7 and 8, but the flip side of that is the additional maturity that comes from them being in 'high school' rather than 'middle school' - time to get serious etc.

6. Hi, I am an undergraduate in Wales and I have to do a presentation on the 14-19 curriculum in England. I have never done anything on education in England and I don't know where to start. Could anyone maybe explain what it is or direct me to any helpful documents/literature/websites?