1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

13 weeks notice after MAT leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sararowlands82, Feb 2, 2019.

1. sararowlands82

sararowlands82 New commenter

Hi

I’m returning to work on the 15th March after MAT leave. I have another job and they want me start ASAP. I know I have to work my 13 weeks but I’m going back part-time 0.8 so 4 days a week. Does anyone know what date I’ll be able to leave?
    Thanks

2. sararowlands82

Forgot to say I was full time before starting my MAT leave.

3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

If you resign before end of feb you can leave at Easter.
    You may have to forfeit some of your maternity pay however
    Check with your union

4. sararowlands82

Thanks. I have emailed my union but I’m just waiting to hear from them. If I left at Easter I’m sure I’d have to pay back some of my money as it wouldn’t have been 13 weeks?

5. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

I’m curious too! Some people have paid in instalments.xx

6. sararowlands82

And do I have to do 65 days but obviously I’m not in on a Monday?

7. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

If you are returning on 0.8, I believe you will need to work 15 weeks and 3 days to make up the correct amount of time to not have to pay any maternity leave back.

However, resignation dates for teachers usually still apply so if resigning for Easter is less than your 15.6 weeks you would have to resign by 31st May to leave 31st August.

If your new school want you to start ASAP then I would explain the whole situation to them and they may be able to come to an arrangement with your old school which will allow you to be released earlier without having to pay back Maternity pay.

I had a slightly different situation, I was due to return full time from my maternity leave on 5th July. I got a new post on 25th May to start on 1st September so wouldn’t have been able to complete the 13 weeks necessary and didn’t want to return from maternity early. My new school wanted me to start at the beginning of the new school year so they contacted the old school and arranged for me to be able to leave (they might have paid something to the old school for me to do so). I returned to the old school for the last 3 weeks of term and left on 31st August on good terms with my old headteacher.

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Assuming burgundy book pay and conditions, you can leave at Easter or in July. If at Easter, you’ll have to payback some mat pay. If July, you won’t.

9. sararowlands82

Thank you for your replies. Yes it makes sense the 15 weeks and 3 days. I’ve contacted the union and my current school so hopefully we can work something out.