1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

13 Steps Down

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivor Novello, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ivor Novello

Ivor Novello Occasional commenter

I watched this with fascination last week, and I've just watched tonight's final part, and what a **** ending! I don't get it. What a build up to nothing, or am I missing something?

Can someone please tell me what it was supposed to be about. obsession. OK. Got that. But what's the message. And what the hell was that guy doing in the roof?

If you can write a great suspense drama you should at least know how to finish one.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I agree, the ending was a disappointment. The murderer kept seeing the ghost of Christie; except it wasn't a ghost, after all- it was the asylum seeker in the roof! A comic touch, I thought.

3. Ivor Novello

Ivor Novello Occasional commenter

Yeah, but where did it tie in with anything? Rendell is better than that. It's just so bizarre. Then the end is like - well, everyone is awful. Suddenly people change for nothing.

4. Dunteachin

I know, it was all a bit messy. Nobody redeemed themselves at the end.
    I enjoyed it, though.

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I read the book a while back and despite enjoying the story enormously, was very disappointed with the ending. I also read her most recent novel and that seemed to follow the same pattern too - lots of tension building throughout the story, then ending really in a bit of an anti-climax with no loose ends tied. You think I'd learn.

6. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I have given up reading hers now unless it is an Inspector Wexford. Too much of a let down at the end - and a little bit too dark for me.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It was dire, it really was. Leaving aside the **** 'asylum seeker' thread, what on earth was the point of the 'Nerissa goes for dinner with bloke who has invited their parents round as well' part?

8. Dunteachin

I think it was to show the mean side of him: she assumed the dinner invitation was a date, and dressed accordingly, whilst he invited both sets of parents, without telling her, to make her look foolish, child-like.
    Ditto, when he led her on, got her into bed and then unceremoniously dumped her. That's the impression I got, anyway.

9. I thought it was really poor - but I sat through it anyway...note to self (must get out more!)

10. Everything about the production seemed so old-fashioned. Can't put my finger on exact moments but it was so predictable. Had to keep watching but the end was truly daft.!