1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

13+ Non-Verbal Reasoning Papers

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by polvo, Jan 28, 2020.

1. polvo

polvo New commenter

I am preparing a student to take the 13+ for entry into Altrincham Grammar School for girls as well as some other ones in the Trafford area. Does anyone know how I can obtain a textbook or past papers for the Non-Verbal Reasoning part of the exam? So far I have Googled 13+ and only found 11+ papers. I need to get something soon so that my student gets some practice in this skill at the correct level.

2. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Just use the 11+ NVR, there's a very wide variety available. Having said that, they don't test NVR for in-year admissions. They stopped doing separate NVR papers when they moved to CEM tests several years ago.

I just saw your other post about this. I'm not sure where you've got your information from but AGGS isn't an indy school where they sit a 13+ exam. They are separate papers in maths, English, MFL and science.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

See attached, no NVR is required.

Attached Files:

4. polvo

polvo New commenter

5. polvo

polvo New commenter

Thanks for your reply. What is MFL?

6. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Modern Foreign Language

7. polvo

polvo New commenter

8. polvo

polvo New commenter

The student's mother has told me that she also wants her daughter to sit the Stretford 13+ exam. The description mentions NVR and a quantative test. Do you know what a quantative test is in this case?

9. polvo

polvo New commenter

10. polvo

polvo New commenter

Thanks for your reply. The student's mother has told me that she also wants her daughter to sit the Stretford 13+ exam. On viewing the description of this exam it mentions NVR and a quantative test. Do you know what a quantative test is in this case?

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'd imagine it means maths.

12. Tinkerbell502

Tinkerbell502 New commenter

I bought 13+ materials that included NVR and Quantitative Reasoning resources. The latter includes two types of task- Number Connections and Number Sequences. I think these are part of the CAT tests.
    The 13+ NVR for CAT looks similar to some of the 11+; it includes Figure Analysis, Figure Grids, Figure Recognition and Figure Relationship.
    I have recently acquired a Yr 9 student in a non-selective setting who wishes to find a grammar school place and I’ve been advised by the parent that his son will have to undergo a CAT test to demonstrate his suitability.