1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

13/14 Year old Alternative Energy project -desperate for ideas for a weeks project

Discussion in 'Science' started by janeythom, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Hi All

I have a group of year 8/9 students who are very disengaged. They have been building cars powered by methods other than electricity however most have finished that project.

I am trying to think up another project on alternate energy however have very limited resources (for example I was looking at wind turbines but don't have any motors or means of getting them - small town so even if I wanted to buy from my own money there is nowhere to get them from).

I am more than happy to share my ideas of various projects and engaging activities now I have joined the group.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Jane

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Cheapest source would be online, but why do you need motors for wind turbines? or are you using them as dynamos?

As an alternative to alternative energy, why not insulation as a way of saving it. Something that we have failed badly in.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

amazon?

I assume you mean to reverse the motors?

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I have made mini "wind turbines" in a classroom by using corks with plastic fins inserted into slots in them, and impaling them on reversed motors.

or how about making dynmos and then comparing different ways of spinning them, tap, hairdryer, etc.

Is this extra curricular?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

You can make a wind turbine using magnets and copper wire instead of a motor or dynamo. This would show the principle of how it works better. The blades are made of cardboard and can be spun using an electric fan or hairdryer. It should be able to generate enough electricity to light a small bulb.

You can find instructions on line but I can post some links if required.

Good luck. The idea of teaching a group of very disengaged 13 and 14 year old pupils would fill me with dread.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We investigated wind power by looking at wind turbines and seeing if the number / size of the blades affected output. You just use laminated paper for the sails and straws / washers for the uprights. Though in fact I was given some by the Alternative energy people.
    Try looking here https://www.sustainablelearning.com/resource/build-your-own-wind-turbine

gainly likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

You could do this first to find the best design for the blades and then use this design to generate electricity, provided you have some magnets and copper wire.

border_walker and Lara mfl 05 like this.