1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

127 Hours

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Jan 9, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

For those who are thinking about going to see this film - do it!

For those that don't know about it here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlhLOWTnVoQ

(Sorry, I'm using Chrome so can't do links.)

It is one of the best films I have seen in a long time. Very well done, and very realistic/believable. A word of warning though, there is one scene in the film that may make you lose your lunch/dinner.

I saw it last night and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Incredible.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Apparently members of the audiences in America fainted.

3. An American member of the audience fainted at Titus Andronicus when I saw it at Stratford years ago. It was a double bill with Two Gentleman of Verona, but the Americans missed that as they all left in the interval!

4. I got nasuseous and had to leave Babel. The first time I left, I went back after a few mins sitting still. The 2nd time I left, cinema staff came to lie me down and give me something to drink and I never made it back inside.
    later I read it had a similar effect on lots of people in the far east.

5. I don't think I could handle it....."The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover".....was a BRILLIANT movie.....but not one that I will ever watch again.......I couldn't eat meat for days......

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That's me decided then. Brilliant or not, I can't cope with that.
    With hindsight, I wish I hadn't watched 'The Road'. Also a brilliant film, but it left me severely traumatised for quite some time afterwards.

7. Ditto "Wolf Creek" ..........will never watch that again....still have nightmares.......

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh jeez, don't even get me started on 'Wolf Creek'!
    With the exception of 'The Road' I have never been so stressed watching a film in my puff. Horrible, just horrible. *shudder*

9. Will we ever, ever recover from the "head on a stick' line? (still have nightmares......)

10. Why do you people watch these films?

Light rom com is my limit these days

11. Because we don't know how they are going to turn out....the advertising for Wolf Creek was so vague...I thought it was about alien invasion....and the movie flirted with that idea....if I'd known how it was going to turn out I would NEVER have watched it!

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I used to be unable to watch certain kinds of films due my terror and squeamishness. After years of watching the kinds of films Mr Kibosh loves, I have toughened up.
    There are still moments when I have to close my eyes, stick my fingers in my ears and pretend it's not happening. But let's not talk about school.

13. Yes, but 127 hours ... the premise and the "unpleasant scene" have been well advrtised

14. yep, which is exactly why I won't go to see it......I'm sure it's brilliant, and I hope everyone else enjoys it.....but ..not for me!

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Both 'The Road' and 'Wolf Creek' were lauded as 'must see' movies and I honestly didn't know anything much about them till I started watching (although I knew 'The Road' was a post-apocalyptic movie, so I had an idea it wasn't going to be a barrel of laughs).
    Once I start watching a film, I have to see it through with grim determination. If I'd known how graphic some of the scenes were, I definitely wouldn't have gone there.
    I avoid all horror films like the plague.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I like a good rom com. Caught '13 Going On 30' on Fiver earlier in the week and was so charmed by it I watched it again the following day.
    'Inception' last night, though. I'm still fairly confused. [​IMG]

17. I thought Inception was utter ****.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

To be fair there are genres of film I don't watch because they're (in my opinion) sh*te - most of the zombie type **** etc. I'm not squeamish at all and can cope with gore if it's relevant to the plot - in fact I'm a bit guilty of spoiling things for myself by reminding myself that they're actors and the gore is just pretend. The actor in 127 hours doesn't really cut his arm off however effective the special effects might be - that works for me.
    Gratuitous and nasty violence for the sake of it tends to be a feature of **** films and it would be the **** aspect which would make me turn them off. It's highly unlikely I'd see them in a cinema.

19. Watched Inception on Boxing Day pm

Thought it was ok but a bit overhyped

Nice easy viewing though

20. I agree with Seren that zombie movies on the whole are carp....but has anyone seen "Shaun of the Dead" .......funny, bit scary towards the end.....but very well done!