1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

120 day rule?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by soja10, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    apparently it is a legal requirement for trainees to spend 120 days in school (training). Well, I just counted all my school days in placement A and B and alltogether, excluding Bank Holidays, HT break and Easter break I only get up to 99....what is the mystery??? Do you indeed count these days "off" as training days? My course provider said they even scheduled 127 days (just in case) to give us +7 days for sickness etc....
    Any ideas?

2. Dear all,
    apparently it is a legal requirement for trainees to spend 120 days in school (training). Well, I just counted all my school days in placement A and B and alltogether, excluding Bank Holidays, HT break and Easter break I only get up to 99....what is the mystery??? Do you indeed count these days "off" as training days? My course provider said they even scheduled 127 days (just in case) to give us +7 days for sickness etc....
    Any ideas?

3. Your provider should have detailed their definitions of what is included in a school day. For primary OPGCXE trhe requirement is 90 days and 120 for secondary PGCE. The 127 days sis ensible as this allows for a few days here and there for illness like colds or even snow days though we are given discretion on this. You should not count school breaks as 'on placement', but other instances e.g. attending primary schools while on secondary placement for transition experience would count.
    James