1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

12 years old English not his first langauge?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Stanny123, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Stanny123

Stanny123 New commenter

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank you for reading my post and if you have ANY suggestions, please kindly share them with me. I have recently started teaching a 12 years old boy whose English is not his first language. He has recently moved from China and will be starting Year 7 this September. I carried out an initial ESL assessment with him to gauge his English level and is not great - perhaps at elementary level, able to say simple words/ sentence e.g. 'I like to watch TV.

I am a new teacher with not a lot of experience and is private tutoring him one hour a week. I am wondering if I should start with teaching him KS2 English to build his foundation. Any suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated!

galerider123 likes this.
  2. chloef23

chloef23 New commenter

With EAL children, it is fluency in the English language which affects their academic attainment from reception through to KS3. For me, this suggests that developing the language skills of EAL children should be a key focus.

Much of the research I have looked at argues for meaningful social interaction between the EAL child and a native language speaker. In the past, I have used visual comprehension exercises in which children are shown a 'busy' picture and verbally answer a range of questions. It allows an opportunity for EAL children to practise different sentence structures and use a wide variety of English words which would not otherwise be experienced within the normal school routine.

Depending on the English language fluency of the child, direct instruction in English phonemes and grapheme-phoneme correspondence may also be necessary. As with native-speakers, an EAL children will require direct instruction on the grammatical conventions of the English language.

I found NALDIC to be a useful source of information. Page 13 of this publication is quite useful: https://www.naldic.org.uk/Resources/NALDIC/Teaching and Learning/Essential Guidance 2012v2.pdf

galerider123 likes this.
  3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Are you also able to set homework for him? In that case, I would recommend using books such as the Vocabulary in Practice and Grammar in Practice (both cheaply available on ebay, but check the postage) - especially starting at Level 1 or 2 - they are short activities (a page or so) that can be easily done in 10-15 minutes and checked by the student in the back. Also, use graded readers (level 1 or 2) with listening, if possible (but they can be much more expensive) with stories that will appeal to a 12 year old - skim through either Macmillian or Penquin as they have some decent ones. Finally, I think your idea of using the KS2 curriculum is an excellent idea, but also check the KS1 literacy, vocabulary, etc. If this child is going onto secondary next month, you'll want to also pre-teach some vocabulary for that, if possible.

I don't think that one hour a week will transform him, but with some structured homework, you could definitely make a difference - most importantly, helping the child feel more confident as they start school in a few weeks.

Good luck!

galerider123 likes this.
  4. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I was thinking that KS1 might be more appropriate initially, too. Time is short if he is starting school in September. Make sure that he has emergency vocabulary (e.g. I need the toilet, I need help, I don't understand,I feel sick, Where is room 2B?) and school vocabulary (including names for lessons that he may not have come across at junior school eg Chemistry, Physics etc), and is able to understand simple questions and form short sentences verbally to get him through the day. If he has been to school here at all he will probably know these, but check these before you do anything else.

5. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Encourage him to watch English tv & listen to English radio at home - could well be that his parents aren't good English speakers & home might be non English speaking. BBC radio have got a lot available as podcasts/iplayer - he might not be ready for thing such as the six minute vocabulary and grammar podcasts yet but in time will be. The BBC schools radio site has many podcasts that might be of use to you/him.

galerider123 likes this.
  6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

galerider123 likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Refer his parents to a tutor with a TEFL qualification?