1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

12 week rule on supply.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Tangha, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Thanks for the link. I didn't think working at an academy counted me out either but before I put my foot in it I wanted to see if anybody else had a similar situation to me.
    Thanks for your help.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Working at an Academy doesn't count you out of AWR! The agency must know this as AWR is not just for supply teachers. It applies to all agency workers.
    Once any temporary, agency-placed employee has worked in 12 consecutive weeks for the same hirer (Academy school in your case - and weeks either side of a school holiday count as consecutive), the worker is entitled to the same pay that the contracted workers with that hirer get. In your case, you're entitled to your teacher pay point if that is how the Academy pay their permanent teachers.
    You are not entitled to all the benefits that a permanent employee enjoys. You don't get paid sick leave and you don't get access to the pension scheme either.
    Don't give up on claiming your arrears of pay. Contact your Union iof the employer (your agency) fails to observe the law on this matter.

3. Thank you so much for that reply. It was just what I wanted to hear. I will take it up with my agency with confidence thanks to you.

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

.................. it does not have to be consecutive weeks unless there is a 6 week gap ...excluding holidays. Also the school pays the enhanced pay should they wish to keep the supply teacher on. If not .....then the Agency moves the supply teacher to another school. Agencies couldn't possibly survive if they had to pay scale for all their teachers plus asking for a fee from the schools.

5. hi does anybody know if you are entitled to this if you are claiming self employed? but are signed up with an agency?