1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

12 towns quarantined in Italy, army authorised to ensure regulations are enforced

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I can't find our other coronavirus thread.

schools closed, sporting engagements cancelled no entry of exit from affected areas.
    50 thousand people confined to their own homes

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

They are taking sensible precautions.
    The other thread is still there, Corvus-page 2.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

More drama!

4. Corvuscorax

Both Italy and Iran now believe the virus has spread widely though out their countries without being detected. There is going to be mass testing in the UK to see if it has happened here.

2 weeks incubation period.... once symptoms start its a mild illness for 2/3 weeks before becoming serious, so the deaths n Italy are likely to have been people infected over a month ago. So likely to be a month after spread before it becomes obvious that it has spread.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

All you are interested in is filth. I bet you've been secretly converting your dungeon into your own private quarantine suite! o_O

nomad and emerald52 like this.
  6. Dunteachin

Now, there's an idea...:cool:

7. Dunteachin

After reading post #4, I'm ringing Barry the Builder.

jellycowfish likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

The BBC news showed a lot of people queuing up for a supermarket, but the supermarket afraid to open in case there was problems keeping order. It might make sense for shopping to be done on line a and delivered in these circumstances, where possible

needabreak and Stiltskin like this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Stuck housebound without friends, unable to go out, chat and eat Italian style, I expect quite a few of them will be bored at home and feeling cannelloni.

I am sorry for the poor taste.
    It's a powerless situation with only a media window over what it is actually like.

10. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

You see? There's the positive side of Brexit. Who does not already have their emergency stock of beans and tinned peaches in this country?

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It is barely reassuring to know that one popular type of tinned beans in Italy is the corona bean. It's true.
    upload_2020-2-23_21-24-27.jpeg

agathamorse, Nellyfuf2, nomad and 5 others like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm always good for a pun. I suspend all sense of good taste for a decent one.

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Good.
    Because my news is that I've been dating an Italian brick layer who has just been told he can no longer fly out to see me next week. I told him I was worried that in boredom he'd find himself somebody else more local, but he reassured me it's cement to be.

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We have enough loo roll to see us out. We'll eat our hens' eggs until the hen food runs out and then we'll eat the hens. Hopefully by then there'll be a few odd bits growing in the garden. And there's the brexit box, of course.

It really is a bit scary, and you can't help wondering if the attempts to contain the virus will ultimately prove pointless. There was an interesting piece in yesterday's Times by Melanie Reid, who is paralysed, saying that maybe the virus will cull the weak and dependent like her, thus kind of rebooting the healthy population and freeing it of all the people who just need a lot of care like her (she has previously said that she really only stays alive because it's what her husband and son want). A brutal view to take but an interesting perspective. The virus couldn't distinguish between those who want to live and those who really don't, but the likes of my dad, living a miserable life with severe dementia in a care home, would welcome a way out.

15. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I did wonder if the incubation might be longer than the original 10 days they said a month ago.

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I doubt your dad would welcome Coronavirus as a way out. It must be awful having a fever and be struggling to breathe.

17. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I'm not so worried about loo roll (at least, as long as I have some books to mark at home, I'll be fine...).:D:D:D

18. Corvuscorax

Its not just an attempt to contain, it it can't ultimately be contained, then the more it can be slowed down, the better

Bedlam3 likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Look - just leave this alone and go and find something else to obsess over.

It's not as if you have any idea what you're going on about anyway.

lizziescat and Dunteachin like this.
  20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

His current life is awful and he has considered many ways of ending it, none of them pleasant.