1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

12 lbs of sausages

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Dear Mr C went shopping yesterday and came back with 12lbs of sausages 'because they were on special offer'.
    I have turned 2lbs into sauce for pasta, 2lbs into Belle's curry, 2lbs into sausage and bean casserole. 6lbs left.......
    Any brilliant ideas for the rest?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Bake them with sliced onions, garlic, rosemary, chilli and fresh tomatoes to make a loose sausage casserole to eat with polenta, mash or pasta.
    I know you've made a pasta sauce, but in case it's not like this one: Crumble the meat and fry with garlic and chilli, add white wine, reduce, add double cream and fresh basil.
    Sausage and potato pie.
    Sausage rolls or sausage plait

3. Sausage and lentil soup made - tastes lovely Beth! Sausage casserole a la nick in the oven.....only 3lbs to go!

4. That sounds good. I get kale in the veg box and struggle to do anything interesting with it. How do you make it with oats and sausages?

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Cassoulet, add beans, spices, etc

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The last batch I did was with the 'black' Nero Kale from my veg box

Most German families will have their own recipes...
    It's really quite simple. You chop up some Onions, pre fry if you like (Omi did them in goose fat!...waste of good goose fat IMHO!.....save that for roasties!)...put them in a big saucepan with your Kale, sliced up, and water or Veg Stock. add your sliced up sausages. Bring to the boil, and then turn onto a low heat....this is slow cooked!...about halfway through the cooking time (GIve this about 3 hours in total - so after about 90 mins) check the seasoning and add a good double handful of oats.....serve with boiled potatoes.
    Or....use the slowcooker and throw everything in at once and turn on! Omi would turn in her grave, but it's what I often do!

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Cosmos, try squeezing them out of the skin and forming meatballs with them to add to a tomato sauce with pasta or forming into little patties. Sausage plait, sausage rolls (ready for Xmas!) are all good too!

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Oh yes! Sausage meatballs!
    Mum makes a wickedly spicy soup with tomato, loads of chilli and barley and it has little sausage meatballs in it. Absolute heaven!

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I ordered 2 packs of Donald Russell sausages, 8 packets of 6 sausages in a pack, split them into 4's and froze them. All except one pack of 4 which we had for dinner.

10. Oh! I have a brilliant GL recipe for sausages:
    Slice an onion
    Slice up 3 or 4 different coloured peppers
    Add a tin of toms/passata
    With or without any herbs it's up to you what to add to make it different each time
    Layer and mix it all up in a baking dish and then plonk some sausages on top - bake until it all turns soft and glossy and the sausages are cooked - they stay lovely and moist in the sauce!
    Takes about 5 mins to prep and an hour to cook - dead easy on a cold night when you want time for a bath, chop wood, light the fire or do an emergency chicken check in the dark before you eat!

11. I finished up the last of the sausages! Made meatballs and a tomato sauce to go with them and sausage and sage stuffing.
    I had such a good time yesterday I'm tempted to go and get some more sausages so that I can make a sausage plait.
    Should the plait be frozen cooked or uncooked?

I wonder if I could persade Mr C to run riot in the butchers - I could just do with lbs and lbs of beef shin!

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I freeze mine cooked - don't know how much difference it would make to do it uncooked?!
    Oh, yes! That would be wonderful...I think he would become my dream man if he did that! [​IMG]

13. If he did that EG, he would become my dream man!

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Steady on Cosmos!

15. A girl can dream Belle!