1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

12 interviews but no job......any advice?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by maltesersaretasty, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I have now had 12 interviews since completing my NQT year in March. I am relocating so they are in various areas across the Midlands. The interviews were from 14 applications and I've been told I have a strong application-the executive summary works!
    Feedback from interviews has always been that I have the strongest/ an outstanding lesson and answered interview questions well. Reason for not getting the posts has ranged from 'pipped to the post', 'not confident enough in the interview' 'confident but not demonstrating passion/enthusiasm/someone else fitted our team better'. All of my interviews have been for permanent posts and I have been the most experienced at all the interviews.All over candidates have been PGCE students. I am getting concerned that there is something they are not telling me! I always speak to staff/children and spend time in classrooms, I sell myself at interview and show a folder of things I have done...... One head said I had a slightly more reserved personality than what they were looking for and the right school would come along. I'm really struggling to pick myself up each time at the moment- I feel as if there is nothing I can do to improve my chances.
    Anyway rant over, thankyou to anyone that reads this, I'm going to try to make a start on more applications tomorrow. Good luck to anyone else looking for a post!

2. 12 interviews from 14 applications!! That's an incredible success rate given the current situation, well done! Plus such positive feedback for your teaching! To be honest, I simply don't understand why no school has offered you a job yet. You simply must keep going, surely you will get a job soon. Good luck!

3. I guess it's partly down to luck, although I know you probably don't feel that way at the moment. Some people stroll into the right school for their first interview and get the job- that doesn't always mean they're a better candidate, they might just be a better candidate for that particular school. It really does depend on who is there on the day, and statistically there's a chance that some people will just keep finding themselves in situations against someone particularly suited to the jobs they go for, if that makes sense?
    I know it feels like one big popularity contest and it's hard not to feel down, but you can't let it defeat you. Have you got more interviews planned?

4. Thanks for that petrapan it does make sense, it just seems very unlucky now I've had 12! Maybe it will be lucky 13 :). I've got one more interview next week and I'll be applying for more over the weekend so fingers crossed. A governor at one interview asked why I hadn't had a permanent job yet so I hope that isn't going against me! I'm in the South West and had no luck applying for permanent posts when I was looking for an NQT post.
    Gila you're right about trying to keep the positives in mind and it is nice to have such good and consistent feedback on my teaching. I will make a fresh start on applications tomorrow when I've indulged in chocolate and had a rest! Thankyou both of you.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, a superb record - all those interviews!
    Do read the interview clickables inside the Welcome thread to get some tips for preparation for the next one.
    We look forward to you starting a thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Fingers crossed for you!

7. Thankyou! I've decided to try to be more relaxed in the interview and keep practising in front of the mirror with lots of smiling! It must just be the way I am saying things/nerves making me look closed off and too serious in the formal interview.