1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

11+

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by ClassroomSolutions, Jun 12, 2016.

1. ClassroomSolutions

ClassroomSolutions New commenter

Hi everyone,

Any 11+ tutors here? I would appreciate advice about a couple of things so that I can more effectively tutor my students who will be sitting the 11+ exams for the Bluecoat School in Liverpool.

1) How best to improve a pupil's issues when it comes to sitting exams? Is it simply a matter of giving lots of practice questions and teaching 'shortcuts'?

2) How do you go about structuring your sessions for 11+ students? Ideally, I'll dedicate sometime to giving them verbal/non verbal reasoning instruction/practice followed by focusing on areas of weakness in English/maths. The latter tends to take up the bulk of the session.

Any advice about tutoring 11+ students would be greatly appreciated as I want to be the best tutor I possibly can become.

Many thanks! :)

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I've always wanted to know upon which eleven herbs & spices Colonel Saunders' success rests.

[​IMG]

bevdex, Mrsmumbles and sabrinakat like this.
  3. ClassroomSolutions

ClassroomSolutions New commenter

Thanks, Vince. Very helpful. :D

4. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

I tend to carry out the Bond 11+ placement tests with the students first so I know which areas to focus on.

I feel that, if a student gets high marks in verbal/non-verbal reasoning, there is no point spending additional time in teaching them about it. It will only work for them to carry out a refresher closer to the exam.

ClassroomSolutions likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

It's all in the oregano...