1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

11+ tutoring question

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by dodie102, Mar 7, 2019.

1. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

I was just hoping to pick your brains tutors.

I live in a grammar area and everyone it seems has a CEM test tutor for their child who wishes to try for a grammar. My son's teacher has told me to 'go for it' and 'he's a real mathematician' and we are happy to help. Although I'm a teacher myself I think for family harmony I'd like to engage a tutor.

My question is: we have the choice between a rather ramshackle but lovely lady who gives lots of sheets and lots of quizzes with some CEM style questions and another equally kind retired teacher who seems much more driven. Whom should I pick? Also have added to the mix a mother of one of my son's friends who would like to share a tutor with us and the retired primary teacher has said she would do that for the remainder of Y4 and 'see how we go'. I'm really in a quandary as I'm not sure you can beat one to one for focus and attention.

Any wise words?

Yours gratefully.

Dodie

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Definitely don't share. It's unlikely both children will progress at the same rate and it can mask real progress. You need to choose a tutor who understands what your local Grammars want; ask them their pass rates.

Could I ask which area you live in? Some areas are much more competitive than others.

Kateray1 likes this.
  3. dodie102

Thank you phatsals.

I know I live in a very competitive area as some parents travel from and hour and half for one school! One girl in my daughter's grammar school has to get up at 5am to get the train in time for the school day and she's not at the 'super school'! I have to say that's ridiculous!

4. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Definitely wouldn't reccomend sharing, I've ended up tutoring two students together this year that I stupidly thought would be ok, because they're at the same college. Each teacher there does things in a different order so there's been so little overlap in when they're both ready to do a topic. One requested a topic prior to a test that the other hadn't covered yet, I can't fit the whole thing into an hour, it's a bit off to cram teach a topic rather than tutor it so I had to defer, which means up to date tests didn't show progress.

Basically, for a bit less money you get a LOT more compromise, not worth it.

Kateray1 likes this.
  5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Whenever I've taught two kids ,it has been less productive

Kateray1 likes this.
  6. dodie102

Thank you all for your responses. Seems that my gut instinct is correct.

7. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I do paired tuition for year 4 and below, but prefer not to for 11+. I do charge less per child for a paired session though so I guess you get what you pay for!

dodie102 likes this.
  8. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything New commenter

We have a tutor in our area who is extremely popular who does groups of 3 and charges £30 per child - £90 for the session! I can't see how they get anywhere near enough personalised attention myself...

Kateray1 likes this.
  9. dodie102

Thank you all for your replies. Have decided on 1:1 I too have come across a group tuition offer at that rate who also requires prospective students to sit a formal exam assessment before they are taken on. No wonder their pass rates are so good!

Kateray1 likes this.
  10. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

Agree, I have just started offering 11+ and only do 1-1.

I think that group price is high to, however it maybe right for the market area.