1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

11 Plus tutoring advice?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by theroom786, Jun 8, 2018.

1. theroom786

theroom786 New commenter

Hi,

I have recently started tutoring for 11 plus. I was initially tutoring GCSE students but i feel May- July is such a quiet time after the students are done with their exams ,that i needed to start tutoring 11 plus.

I am very comfortable in preparing students for exams that are in 2019. I have made a personalised plan for each student and i am seeing good progress from the students, but i have been receiving lately a lot of requests for tutoring for 11 plus exams in September 2018. I feel 3 months is not enough time to tutor a child for 11 plus.

Can someone who has more experience with 11 plus tuitions please guide me? Is this time too less? Am i or the child going to feel pressurised with this time frame ?( exams in 2018)

2. goodsela

goodsela New commenter

Practice papers are a good way to practice the maths, but also for a tutor to identify weaknesses in order to make the most of constricted preparation time.

You can download unlimited free practice papers from http://www.passedpapers.com

theroom786 likes this.
  3. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

I’ve heard good things about the Bond books.

Mrsmumbles and theroom786 like this.
  4. theroom786

theroom786 New commenter

Yes that is what i do, identify weaknesses and work around that but is 3 months enough time for ALL of 11 plus content is basically what i am not sure of..

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Tell them you can only give it your best shot. I take in kids aged 7 and 8 in advance of 11 and 10 plus exams, the parents should know how competitive it is now. The child may not need more than three months. Or they may need more. Just set a lot of the Bond assessment papers and get the parents to do the ten minute test ones at home, to accelerate the learning. Hope the child is motivated!

theroom786 likes this.
  6. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

You have to assume that the school will have covered some of the content sufficiently, surely!
    I suspect that the main thing, taking someone on for a short period, is to make it absolutely clear to the parents that you cannot guarantee success in that time frame, but you can certainly identify gaps and improve their chances.

theroom786 likes this.
  7. theroom786

theroom786 New commenter

Thanks for the tips :)

8. theroom786

theroom786 New commenter

Thanks for the tip, that is what i told the child's parents today that i will not guarantee success but will give 110% and expect the child to do the same. Thankfully, the child is motivated and has got a good pick.

9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

A lot of the kids I teach seem to have either not been taughtvthe basics or have totally forgotten them. Apart from fronted ******* adverbials and ‘big writes’, of course. They’re infamous!

10. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

I have been teaching the 11+ for the last two years. Before that, and still currently, I've taught primary children and lower KS3. The location in which I teach is extremely competitive and the level needed for 121 pass is high and increasing year on year. There is an unrealistic belief from some parents that their child should sit the 11+ and have a decent chance. My experience has told me that it takes an innate ability and good tailored schooling to pass. Year 5/6 pupils arrive at my door often woefully underprepared because state schools (and private too!) do not cater for the demands of the test, such as sharp mental acuity, verbal reasoning strengths, NVR - not to mention speed!

Of course every child is different. For example, I am presently tutoring one pupil for ten weeks only because he has natural ability and just needs to sharpen up some technique; this student is an exception rather than the rule.

As mentioned above, be realistic with the pupil and parents after assessments are completed and go from there. If they know this, any tuition you offer is still going to help them in their SATS in Year 6.

11. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Verbal reasoning and non verbal reasoning aren’t actually on the primary curriculum you know. Therefore it’s no great surprise state schools aren’t preparing pupils for this!! Private ones probably are, but some children just don’t ‘get’ VR and NVR.

Having been involved in tutoring/teaching 11+ for a few years, I’d say children fall in to 3camps: those with innate ability who will pass with minimal tuition (I expect these are the children who will succeed at grammar school), those who won’t pass regardless of how much support they receive (I have a number of these in my private school classes) and those who will pass given tuition and reasonable schooling. The bottom end of this set will scrape through and possibly find grammar school a struggle.

12. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

That is what I meant - underprepared because state schools don't cater for the test. And parents think that because their exceeding in English and maths at school, they will naturally be a good candidate.

13. NoSuchThingAsNormal

NoSuchThingAsNormal New commenter

Do not say that you will give 110%. It is naff and untrue.

Piranha and Vince_Ulam like this.
  14. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Children that come for tuition usually do so because they are behind, so straightaway you are facing an uphill struggle. Totally agree with previous poster that a tutor cannot change the world, they can probably influence improvement by about 15-20% max I think. I watched the recent BBC program on children attempting to get into grammar school, and of the 4 children you could tell the 1 that would pass the 11+. Naturally bright and quick-witted. It’s pointless hothousing a child in order to artificially raise their test mark in order that they attend a setting which is too hard for them and in which they will feel uncomfortable and a failure. Children need to be in the right place to meet their needs I believe.

15. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I would say that it is impossible to make such a judgement from the few edited moments of unnatural observation made available to us. Consider Joanita, for example, the poor girl had to share a room with her sister and his nephew. It seemed as though the home was very busy with children most of the time. In such an environment it would be difficult for Joanita to concentrate on her study materials and rest sufficiently well to make best use of it,