1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

11+ 11plus tutoring advice

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by mairuzu, Oct 16, 2019.

1. mairuzu

mairuzu New commenter

Hi

I am secondary teacher and have been asked to tutor a friend's child for 11+. I have started to research resources, but it all seems to be highly monetised and I can't seem to find much in the way of free resources.

Could anyone let me know where I might be able to find any useful (and hopefully free) schemes of learning / tutor study plans, lesson resources etc.

If there aren't many free ones, please could you recommend any paid sites? There seem to be so many that I'm not sure where to start.

Any other advice welcome.

Thanks

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Before you start you need to know which schools s/he is sitting for and which exams they do. They aren't all the same.

3. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Agree with above comment. Which part of the country is she in? Check if the exam is set by GL or CEM or if it's an independent school. They are all slightly different.

The CGP and Bond websites have free samples which are worth looking at. There are some resources on twinkle and yes too.

Also the Chuckra website www.11plus.co.uk has loads of downloads and you can get a free tutors account which lets you set up student accounts to use the games and online questions.

You'll probably have to buy some stuff but you can always reuse if children don't write in the books. I also write a lot of my own questions once I can see where the gaps are.

The eleven plus parents website has a forum and a useful section with info about each region.