1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£1000 offer

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by richardtock, Jul 19, 2017.

1. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

Hi, I got an email from TES, saying that if I went up a level Silver -> Gold before the 31st July, I'd be entered into a draw to win £1000.

I thought I'd put my reply here as it might be worth having the debate.

Hi.
    Just to feedback that I do not think these kind of promos are helpful or useful.
    I could become a gold author by 21st of July, buy uploading all my resources, regardless of quality. I don't want to though. Each resource I upload goes through a very rigorous process. You'll see this if you look at my profile.
    There is a lot of stuff on TES that should not be there. £2 resources that are a single letter or image. This kind of promotion just encourages that. How can my resources sell when they're drowned out by, quite frankly, tat?
    As a tes author I'm increasingly becoming disillusioned with the lack of focus on quality, along with the unwillingness to deal with the negative publicity caused by a few high profile copyright violations. To the point that rather than become a gold author, I am thinking of removing my resources, even the free ones, altogether. This would be a shame. I've been a regular contributor through the years with a reasonably large view and download count.
    I think a lot of authors feel this way.

2. Shamster

Shamster New commenter

Agreed :)

3. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Rather than all the gimmicks going on just now to get teachers to upload more & more resources, I think @tesAuthorTeam need to make it easier for buyers to find what they need for their classrooms.

Once I find a teacher author whose resources I like, I want to be able to search quickly within their shop for similar, quality resources.

When I upload resources to my shop, I want to be able to put those resources into custom categories, so that buyers can quickly & easily browse a category, as busy teachers don't have time to scroll through 300 resources.

4. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

Just received the email about the previous incentive for 'quality resources'. Apparently 1124 resources were submitted of which only 30 achieved the 'recommended tick'.

Now either that's an impressive indicator of how stringent the standards are now... or...

...It's yet another incentive that is offered without consideration to the reality of managing it. Remember the personalised service you'd get when you achieved gold? The extra promotions? Seen much of those?

I echo the thoughts above. Give up on the poorly thought through gimmicks and focus on the buyer experience please.

5. magicinkstand

magicinkstand New commenter

The focus should be on quality rather than quantity. It would be really helpful if sellers could organise their shops with different categories. Some kind of archive system would be good too. I have several resources which are now out of season but if I remove them, they will lose their reviews and I will no longer be a silver author. So they are left to clutter up my shop and tes

6. mracdpresent

mracdpresent New commenter

I can't believe TES are rewarding quantity. It must cause panic uploading or short cuts / split resources and pages of utter rubbish! I've not really spent much time on *** but quality seems so much higher.

7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Terrible business sense. Fill a shop with as much as possible and you will sell more even if it's all carp...this is not how to get a good reputation. Oh..and then promote the carp...that'll work.

8. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I think the hub idea is a good one. Although it would be helpful if these were searchable as well. I agree there is a lot of resources on here which are not very good at all and having a seperate area with recommended resouces is a great idea. I don't know the TES staffing structure but I imagine it is a huge job to sift through all these resources.

mathsmutt likes this.
  9. mrajlong

Maybe they should not encourage bulk uploads by holding these strange promotions until they get a handle on things then. No way I can upload 10 resources in such a short period of time - unless of course they are substandard or lacking in detail. Why do Tes seem to ignore these issues and keep racing forwards before consolidating? So many great suggestions and yet the vast majority of them are ignored. And as for the Tes tick, it's totally random as far as I can tell and does not reflect the quality (in some cases) or the popularity of a resource. Ultimately, it will drive good authors to leave this platform and set up on their own - something I will seriously consider when I feel I have enough resources to do so (approx 500, I reckon). I am truly not ungrateful for all the hard work of the Tes team, or the opportunity for alternative income, just a bit frustrated by the constant need for more (feed me Seymour), whilst ignoring the established Gold authors except for a lucky few (who turn up more often on the homepages etc).

10. magicinkstand

magicinkstand New commenter

647k resources, many breaching copyright (even popular premium quizzes seem to be doing this, from what I can see), lots reflecting the old national curriculum, many generally out of season / date (e.g. Tour de France 2008), but lots are brilliant and would benefit from being more easy to find. Perhaps resources could be deleted due to inactivity

mracdpresent likes this.
  11. mracdpresent

mracdpresent New commenter

It's a good idea. Perhaps resources that have had no views, downloads or sales for a year / 6 months could get deleted and a warning email sent out to those authors? It's a tricky one as could seem a bit harsh but seems daft having inactive resources.

magicinkstand likes this.
  12. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, however, some new resources, which are of good quality would get deleted too. Some of mine appear on page 1000 and something... they are relatively new. How on earth are they going to get views? It would be helpful if we could have the facility to 'not display' resources that are out of date until we have time to work on them eg Christmas quiz 2015.

13. Krazikas

I submitted some resources for this promotion, a couple did get the tick. It took so long for them to be reviewed etc that they are now no longer current eg one of my general election resources. It does appear on the recommended resources carousel page - but it is a waste of time as nobody is going to buy it now... I am sure that the landing pages resources could be better managed, featuring a greater and relevant selection from a variety of authors.

14. mrajlong

Your Bastille Day resource @Krazikas is now on the resources homepage...a little bit late for anyone who may have been interested...9 days ago...:rolleyes: as if to reinforce your point!!!

Krazikas likes this.
  15. Krazikas

Exactly!

mathsmutt and mrajlong like this.
  16. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Not sure about this - if the space is available, why do electronic resources need to be active ? Trends in education are often circular and ( as already pointed out by @Krazikas) resources which currently have few or no views still have the potential to sell. I hope to earn from resources made now well into my retirement :)

I agree with all the comments about search engines, allowing authors to classify resources within their shops, stamping down on theft and copyright issues and cutting back on upload incentives. I would further suggest that authors are given the ability to distribute their own discount codes.

17. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

I can upload ten resources by the end of the month. I have a couple of hundred that haven't been added to TES yet.

But I'm not going to. I don't care about a draw for £500, I don't care about hubs that none of my resources will end up in.

Instead I'm going to enjoy the summer.

18. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Being able to sort/search within shops is vital, I think. Very rarely do I actually click through on to an author's shop 1) because it's difficult to do so and 2) because I can't automatically search for what I'm after - I need to scroll through however many pages.

In shops, what about having 'seasonal' tabs. And a 'free' tab (called something better!) to separate the premium from the free - obviously for those that have free resources. Being able to separate the free from premium in a shop will pacify some of the complainers and tidy up how the shop looks.

Enjoy the summer @thinky (& everyone else!) - I do intend to make some resources this summer but it categorically won't be by July 31st!

19. Kiwilander

Kiwilander Occasional commenter

I was quite lucky...I only had 3 more resources to upload before the end of the month to get to my gold level, which I have just done and not because of any offer just my slow incremental creation, it takes a lot of time to make quality. So now I am looking forward to seeing what this gold membership brings me.

But I do agree I am more interested in what real benefits I am going to get from the gold level than the actual competition for money. Maybe seeing my resources on the landing page? I wait to see.

mathsmutt likes this.
  20. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

5% extra royalties. Apart from that, don't hold your breath.