1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

1000 international jobs still advertised

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by february31st, May 18, 2018.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I can not remember so many international job adverts in the TES so near the end of the school year. Some heads and principals will be interviewing applicants on the beach during their vacation.

China, UAE and ME seem to be in desperate need of staff, I wonder why?

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

I could say but it wouldn't get past the mods!

englishdragon and tesolmath like this.
  3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

It's the market!!!!!!

tesolmath likes this.
  4. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

It does seem to be worse this year than other years. I have been contacted by two schools in the last week that I didn't apply for. But it's great news for teachers who make a late decision to venture overseas. I always feel a little frustrated when posters tell other posters, in January/February, that they have missed the boat and that all the places in good schools will have gone. Plenty of good/reasonable schools need to fill places at this time of year for various reasons.

5. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Only anecdotal but I heard of one school in Dubai who chose not to renew a lot of teachers because they were on very good packages and are trying to replace them all with teachers earning 7-9k month less.

And there are a couple of schoola near me that have had a change in leadership causing a lot of resignations this year.

6. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Yep it's the market. It's changed a lot and the age old discussion of "doing a runner" really only applies to the older schools and the newer ones that do a good job of resembling them. "Taking a walk" is now a lot easier in a new breed of schools that have a whole new set of standards. Pros and cons of this career-wise of course but it does open up alternative career paths.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  7. towncryer

towncryer Occasional commenter

If UAE relaxed their rather bizarre demands on what subject degrees are in and arbitrarily dismissing anyone who does not fit into their narrow idea of what a teaching qualification should be then they might not be looking for so many teachers at this time of the year.

Powergnome3 likes this.
  8. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

The US and UK teacher shortage has begun to effect the international circuit.

I even read an article about certain provinces in Canada running short in some subjects, which is a first.

9. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

In my opinion it is because schools are trying to drive down wages/packages. I was offered a job in a 'prestigious', or the head kept on telling me it was, school in Bahrain. It was, and I have 25 years experience and Maths/Chemistry, much less than I can earn in UK. Who the hell is going to go to the ME for less money? Job still not filled after 4 months and I am off to Nigeria in September. If no one applies for low wage jobs they will have to raise wages/packages?

10. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

There are probably twice as many international as there was when I first applied in 2009.

I've seen jobs on TES for my subject advertised 3/4 times so far this year.

11. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I've been on LinkedIn for years but never really did anything with it. I've had three interview offers through it this week, two in China, one in Malaysia. I have never had contact with these schools before.

12. february31st

I post a lot on LinkedIn and as a result at least 30 contacts from schools and agencies this year asking if I would be interested in working for X. Also you can see who is doing a search of the LinkedIn members, so you get a list of schools and agents. Large number of these schools searching are the new bilingual school desperate for staff.(Before anybody says it I know a school will have to desperate to employ me Ha Ha Ha)

Fully paid up members of LinkedIn can search user profiles using such words as, teacher, subject, QTS, China, Shanghai and then contact all the members that turn up in the search. I get a lot of hits from schools in the UAE as my 1st degree, teacher qualification match and I have a BEd. So basically these are a hard combination to find for visa requirements, again the money on offer is C.R.A.P and why do I need to obtain a UEA teaching certificate?

I can also confirm that the financial package on offer from the majority of these Shanghai schools is C.R.A.P compared to what was on offer a couple of years ago. I was shocked at what two of the rent-a-name schools called a good salary offer, I can turn down 24000rmb a month before tax, the offer was increased to 28k and the school was disappointed I turned them down again!

This maybe why we got the thread of 100000 Filipino teachers heading for China, to fill the vacancies in all the private schools.

13. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

And
    • 593 live teaching opportunities on teacherhorizons.com
    • 87 positions still listed on the Northern Angles recruiting site
    • 113 jobs listed on inteachers.net
    • 127 jobs on ticrecruitment.com
    • 173 jobs on TRIAust.com
    Unfortunately, I do not currently have access to the listings on Schrole, Search Associates or ISS, but it would be interesting to add those to the total. Yes, I do recognize that the same job may be advertised across different platforms. And, that some of these may be listings that have already been filled.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  14. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

When I interviewed at my current place, they asked about my salary at the place I was currently working at. I told them honestly (the salary was fair). I said I would like them to at least match it, anything over that was up to them.

They came back at me there and then and offered me around 25% more and said if I wanted more, I should negotiate with the finance dept directly.....

15. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

Which country? Which city?

16. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

With such a massive increase in international schools around the world, not just China, and many catering for local families, this situation is not surprising. The market has turned to being in the teachers' favour. Will this now translate into schools realising that they need to compete, improved packages, efforts to retain staff and treat staff as professionals?

ruthwill500 likes this.
  17. makhnovite

makhnovite Occasional commenter

'The market has turned to being in the teachers' favour."

I am not sure it has yet. Unless the situation has changed markedly, there is still over-supply of teachers in Canada (despite yasf's comment about certain subjects) Australia and certain parts of NZ. Low pay and low status in the UK and the US is getting worse not better and the political situation in S.A. is now adding to the pool of teachers looking for jobs abroad. Maybe things will turn around in our favour at some point but I think it is too soon to tell if it is now.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Agree with Makhnovite - it hasn't yet turned in the teachers' favour. Salaries are from my point of view lower than ten years ago, accommodation and extras are of lesser quality (notably the insurance deals) and demands on teachers higher (although maybe that last one is just a perception from my advancing years!)

towncryer and percy topliss like this.
  19. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

A 10 second search of my profile would tell you which country I am in.

Too many teachers literally compare salary x and y (in their home currency) and make decisions based on that. Quality of life/saving potential/pension (if any)
    /severance pay (if any)/ medical/ect ect.

Btw I got my pay increase, based on my ‘skills’ + what I told my school I would do for them (and I delivered). I didn’t ask for more pay..... because next time they can choose to pay me more, or not, and I will choose to stay or not.

Money is not my number 1 thing.....(it is of course vital!)

20. february31st

The market in Shanghai has been turned on its head with bilingual schools opening by multitudes.

I would like to see the business plan for these schools as it looks like it is 20 years old. Why are all the bilingual schools offering boarding, its not like the students have to commute by donkey cart.

The biggest problem I see in Shanghai will be recruiting Chinese qualified teachers. Market forces will drive their salaries sky high as they are a necessity for the school.