1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

100 word challenge

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amyr89, Apr 22, 2012.

1. This isn't so much of a question, more of a suggestion which I'm not sure will interest everyone. I recently went to a conference with various speakers, one of which is the founder of the 100 word challenge. This is as the name suggests, and is creative writing which is open to those under 16. Every week has a different prompt, e.g. pictures or words to include, and gives children the opportunity to display their work to a wider audience. Various people can comment on the entries (all of these comments are of course moderated) which children really seem to appreciate. This gives children another purpose for writing as it is for more than just the class teacher or members of their particular school. There are also schools from America and Australia, with all children being able to comment on each other's work. Because of the word limit it is already differentiated - lower ability may be challenged to extend the amount they write with higher ability challenged to focus on quality of content. Personally I thought it was a brilliant idea so thought I would share, in the hope that somebody else might find it of interest too. Here is the link in case you find it of interest:

http://100wc.net/

2. This isn't so much of a question, more of a suggestion which I'm not sure will interest everyone. I recently went to a conference with various speakers, one of which is the founder of the 100 word challenge. This is as the name suggests, and is creative writing which is open to those under 16. Every week has a different prompt, e.g. pictures or words to include, and gives children the opportunity to display their work to a wider audience. Various people can comment on the entries (all of these comments are of course moderated) which children really seem to appreciate. This gives children another purpose for writing as it is for more than just the class teacher or members of their particular school. There are also schools from America and Australia, with all children being able to comment on each other's work. Because of the word limit it is already differentiated - lower ability may be challenged to extend the amount they write with higher ability challenged to focus on quality of content. Personally I thought it was a brilliant idea so thought I would share, in the hope that somebody else might find it of interest too. Here is the link in case you find it of interest:

http://100wc.net/

3. Yeah I've seen that one too thanks :) a nice one for younger children. Think its such a brilliant idea. Definitely going to try to get my class into it when I qualify. Why do you think your children like it so much?

4. I love it! I can't wait to qualify so I can get my class into it. Do you find it really gives your children a new purpose for writing?

5. This sounds brilliant, just sent the link to my head. I do have some questions though...
    1) How did you go about setting up the blog? I've set up my own travel blog before, but is there a particularly good blogging website for kids?
    2) How much time do you spend on this each week? Do you do the challenge in class or as homework? Do you spend ICT time on updating the blog and responding to other people's writing?
    3) What age groups would you recommend this for? Has anyone in your school tried this with KS1?

Thanks, Kat

6. Hi Kat

I am not actually in a school myself (student teacher) but I was at the conference where the founder explained a lot about it. I am not too sure about the blogging part but I could look into that one for you. I think you could basically do it however you like to be honest depending on how it might fit in with the other things you do. I think from what Julia (the founder) said, quite a lot seem to use it as a homework activity, although there isn't any reason why you couldn't do it in the school day. I think updating/commenting might be a nice thing as a starter before a main lesson, and you have a whole week before a link closes so you could spread it out as you like :)

I would say the 100 word challenge is mainly for KS2 although there is no reason why KS1 couldn't do this if you felt they were up to it. If not, Julia has also created a 5 sentence challenge specifically for KS1 or for older children who cannot do the 100wc. This one runs once a fortnight and works in the same sort of way as the 100wc. I'll get back to you on the blogging bit, I will raid my ICT lecturer' brains. :)

Amy

7. Thanks a lot Amy, I really appreciate it. My headteacher is up for it, so I'm going to trial it this term with my year 4's. :)