1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

100 UMS=full marks?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Angek, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Yes, it would be impossible for somebody with a B to get an A* in the second exam. They would have a maximum of 79 UMS points. A second paper only has a maximum of 100 UMS points available. So, they could only get a maximum of 179 UMS overall, so would just miss out on the A*.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I have just read over what I wrote and I said something misleading by mistake.
    I mean to say "Yes, it would be impossible for someboedy with a B in the first exam to an A* OVERALL after the second exam." They could, of course, get an A* in the second exam.

3. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

Erm...I've just read again what I posted and I don't see how it is in different to your comments. I believe you've misunderstood my comments.
    I never said the UMS ever changes. The grade boundaries change, but a UMS of 90will be a person with the lowest A*, and a UMS of 89 will be a person with the highest A, irrespective of where the grade boundaries are, and so on.
    I can't see where I said you need full marks for an A*, either.
    Steve W

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

You said the bottom 10% of students within the "A" group gets UMS of 80 and then the next 10% of students get 81 and so on. That isn't how it works and that isn't what I described.
    I can't see where I said that you said that. Your post suggested again, that it was based on the number of students achieving this or that mark.
    The cap is not calculated like that. It is calculated based on the difference in raw marks between an A* and an A which itself is based on the difference in raw mark between A and B (or, in some cases, the difference between A and the maximum mark).

5. SteveWoodhouse

I don't want to quibble, but I'm not sure that equates to "That's not how it works at all".
    We are agreed on how grade boundaries are set, we're just disagreeing on individual UMS marks within grade bondaries.
    I note your comment:
    That's not what edexcel say. Note:
    </font>http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/UMS%20(Uniform%20Mark%20Scheme)%20Awarding%20for%20Applied%20GCSE.pdf
    Anyway, the main point is (for the OP) if you get a bottom A you'll get that converted into a UMS of 80. If you get a top A it will be converted into a UMS of 89. If you get roughly a mid A it'll be a UMS of around 85. A UMS of 82 is a low-mid A. A UMS of 87 is a high-mid A.
    That's the main point.
    Of course it is correct to say that, if you get a B in year 10 you can't go on to get an A*.
    But on the plus side, if you get a B in Year 10, you'd need to drop to an E or lower to fail in Year 11.
    Steve W

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

It is not how it works for calculating individual UMS. Whether we have other areas of agreement is by the by.
    Read what I said again. I didn't say that the relationship is linear. Edexcel saying it is not linear is NOT the same as them saying you can't work it out yourself. As I said, ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THIS FOR ALL GRADES, you can use maths for the conversion. You wanting me to be wrong, won't make it so. Just for your information, this is how you would work it out:
    (((RM-RMGBB)/(RMGBA-RMGBB))x(UMSGBA-UMSGBB))+UMSGBB
    Where:
    RM=Raw Mark
    RMGBB= Raw Mark Grade Boundary Below Raw Mark
    RMGBA= Raw Mark Grade Boundary Above Raw Mark
    UMSGBA= UMS Grade Boundary Above equivalent Raw Mark
    UMSGBB = UMS Grade Boundary Below equivalent Raw Mark
    As I said, when you have the raw grade boundaries you can use a spreadsheet (or maths) to workout every conversion point.

7. SteveWoodhouse

Peace. As I say, we're quibbling over nothing of import.
    For the purposes of reading a Year 10 result and teaching a pupil to try to maximise their grade in Year 11, it really is sematics.
    If a pupil gets a UMS of 85 in Year 10, then I know this is a mid-A, and I know this means they'll need a mid-A* in Year 11, or a UMS of 95, if they want an A* overall.
    I can look to see which of my pupils gained an A* with a UMS of 95 this year, but that will only be a rough guide, as next year's boundaries will change.
    The idea of teaching a pupil in such a situation to get an A* by scoring 74/80 being different to the way you'd teach them to get 76/80 is...well, it simply doesn't happen.
    Best wishes.
    Steve W

8. Yes which is why UMS are the standardised marks so it makes every year 'fair' and every subject 'fair'.

Just to complicate. Have you used resultsplus? If not, get the overview spreadsheet from there and add up their score. You may well find errors like I have ( and the same last year), which this year are in our favour [​IMG]