1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

100 UMS=full marks?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by Angek, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Well done everyone!

Edexcel- does 100 UMS mean they got every mark available?

Ax

2. Well done everyone!

Edexcel- does 100 UMS mean they got every mark available?

Ax

3. Hi,
    I don't do edexcel, but I think raw marks are adjusted/converted into ums so 100 might not necessarily mean they got every possible mark.

4. If not full marks, certainly not very far off.

5. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

Not necessarily, but possibly.
    Your exams officer will have received a print off from edexcel which includes both their raw mark and UMS, so it's easy to check.
    As I understand it, this is what happens. The grade boundaries are decided, and pupils split into their appropriate grades. If you get an A* your UMS will be in the 90s (or 100), if you get an A it's in the 80s, B is 70s, C is 60s, D is 50s, and so on.
    Then they take (for example) all of the pupils with an A and the bottom 10% get a UMS of 80, the second bottom 10% get 81, and so on, all the way up to the top 10% of people with an A getting a UMS of 89.
    So, if fewer than 10% of A*s get full marks, then you can get a UMS of 100 without getting a perfect score.
    Last year (when the graduating Year 11 took their Year 10 Unit 1 exam) I had one girl on a UMS of 99 who scored 79/80, so it's usually pretty close.
    I think the scorinmg system is marginally more complex than that, but that's roughly how it works.
    Hope that helps.
    Steve W

6. Thanks for your replies - can you tell that the data confuses me! Can you hang in there and help me get my tired head round this finally please?

So - student 1 has a raw mark of 60 out of 80 - this is UMS of 83 and grade A

But that student got an average of 15 for each question (15x4 = 60) and 15 in each unit normally equals grade B right? So how does she have a grade A - should she not be getting average of 17 per question, so 17x4 = 68?

I am happy to have missed something really obvious! I just want to be able to explain it to my students really clearly so when they see their breakdown of the exam and the 60 out of 80 being a grade A rather than a B I can explain it fully.

Unless I am being too harsh when marking in the year and mocks? i always work on the boundaries of:
    19-20 = A*
    17-18 = A
    15-16 = B
    13-14 = C
    11-12 = D

etc

Please feel free to spell it out as if I am 5! Then I can feel I am not over complicating it for them either! Thanks guys, much appreciated!
    A x

7. Hi. I spent a while working out what the edexcel marks mean in comparison to the UMS ones. Based on this years exam results I worked out the following for my exams.

<font face="Calibri">A* = 68 &ndash; 80 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 90 &ndash; 100+ Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">A = 58 &ndash; 67 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 80 &ndash; 89 Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">B = 48 &ndash; 57 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 70 &ndash; 79 Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">C = 39 &ndash; 47 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 60 &ndash; 69 Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">D = 31 &ndash; 38 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 50 &ndash; 59 Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">E = 24 &ndash; 30 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 40 &ndash; 49 Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">F = 17 &ndash; 23 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 30 &ndash; 39 Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">G = 10 &ndash; 16 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 20 &ndash; 29 Uniform Marks</font><font face="Calibri">U = 0 &ndash; 9 Raw Marks</font><font face="Calibri"> = 10 &ndash; 19 Uniform Marks </font>

Student 1:41/80 on Unit 1 paper = 62 Uniform Marks 49/80 on Unit 8 paper = 70 Uniform Marks
    Total Uniform Marks = 132 Uniform Marks = Grade C Student 2:56/80 on Unit 1 paper = 78 Uniform Marks71/80 on Unit 8 paper = 92 Uniform Marks Total Uniform Marks = 170 Uniform Marks = Grade A
    Hope this all makes sense. Have just copied the above from what I have typed out for my dept. Apologies for it being so long. Was initially in tables but woudn't let me copy them!
    K.
    </font><font face="Calibri"></font>

8. That looked fine when I previewed it now it looks terrible! If you want, email me and I'll send the info as as attachment!
    katebaggs@hotmail.com

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

That is not at all how it works...
    They decide on the RAW marks grade boundaries. Then the lowest RAW mark required to get an A (for example) is equated to the lowest mark required to get an A on the UMS scale (which never changes). Once you have done this for all grades, you can use a graph (or some maths) to work out the raw mark > UMS mark conversion.
    Your A*-full marks proposition is also wrong.
    The raw mark "cap" (above which you get full UMS marks) is an equal distance above A* as A is below A*. It is nothing to do with 10% of students receiving a particular UMS mark...

10. Hi - thank you very much for your help! I have sent you a message to your hotmail - much appreciated :)

11. So, with the raw result, is it to do with how hard the questions are, so if a
    paper is harder the boundaries for an A* might be more generous - e.g.
    69/80 instead of what I would expect it to be which is 19x4 = 76/80?
    Maths is notmy friend today!

12. Mmmm... how do they decide on the raw marks grade boundaries?

13. Hi all - thought you might like to see this.
    I still dont understand how they decide the raw boundary - am I being too harsh in my marking in the year if I insist on 19/20 for A*?!

http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1106%20GCSE%20Units%20Grade%20Boundaries.pdf

14. Crowbob

Raw Grade Boundaries are set on the level of demand of a particular paper. If a paper is deemed to be harder than last year, a lower raw mark may equal a higher level of performance. Conversely, if a paper is deemed to be easier than last year, a higher level of raw mark may equal a lower level of performance.

15. Excellent - thank you that makes sense! I feel much happier now, and will keep my marking the same as it goes along with the 'best fit'.
    One more piece of advice please...
    If a student has 60/80 unit 2 this year in Year 10 then edexcel say this is a grade A (66 = A* and 57= A) Edexcel have given this USM of 83/100.
    This student will want to know how many more marks she would need to get an A* overall. So she will take unit 8 in Year 11. I appreciate she will need a USM of 180+ to get the A*.
    BUT what do I tell her she needs in terms of raw scores next year to get the A*? Especially as the unit 8 Year 11 exam this year had a grade boundary of 69 for an A*? How does she get the 180 USM?
    Thanks for all your help - we're getting there!!!

16. Crowbob

Until the series has been completed it will be impossible to tell her what she needs to score in an exam to get X UMS points. The raw grade boundaries are not set until the series has been set and marked. You could base it off this years grade boundaries but this will not be accurate.

17. Hi again,
    SO we cannot actually tell them what they need to attain to get their desired grade. Can we know the lowest raw mark possible this year to still have a chance of getting the next grade up eg what is the lowest raw A score this year that they still have a chance of getting an A* after the second exam?
    Plus - is there a graph already somewhere that shows the conversion of raw to USM?

Thanks again!

18. Crowbob

Nope, not with any real degree of accuracy. HOWEVER, the point of UMS (very roughly speaking) is that the same pupil, sitting (for example) the same unit exam in 2011 and 2012 will achieve the same UMS score because it represents the level of achievement, it is just that they will get more marks in whichever is the easiest paper.
    I am sorry, but I don't really understand what you are asking here. [​IMG]
    For the exams just gone? Well, I know AQA offers a service for conversion.

19. So, if a student wants an A* overall what is the LOWEST they can achieve in the first exam to still be able to come out with an A*? For example, is a student gets a low B grade it is impossible for them to be aboe to get an A*, even if tehy scored 80/80 in the second exam...
    Does that make more sense?! :) Ha ha!

20. Mmm I will google edexcel and see if they have something similar.
    Thank you Crowbob - you have bee amazing! [​IMG]
    Anything else you think I should take into account? [​IMG]