1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

100 minute lessons when on supply.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Pennyforyourthoughts, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

50 minute or 60 minute lessons on supply is manageable but a long lesson if it is the class from ?????? Some schools have gone over to 100 minute lessons. This is an absolute nightmare in some schools keeping them motivated and on task is hard even if they are an exceptional class so difficult classes are a truly truly nightmare. Anyone else wish to comment on this timetabling.

2. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

50 minute or 60 minute lessons on supply is manageable but a long lesson if it is the class from ?????? Some schools have gone over to 100 minute lessons. This is an absolute nightmare in some schools keeping them motivated and on task is hard even if they are an exceptional class so difficult classes are a truly truly nightmare. Anyone else wish to comment on this timetabling.

3. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I haven't come across 100 minute lessons yet on supply, but I know of schools that do them. I agree that even a brilliant class can get antsy towards the end of an hour long lesson. I would dread to have a less motivated class for longer.
    Suppose you could suggest a 2 minute break in the middle, but would you let them out of the room? I wouldn't!

4. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I have never heard of a 100 minute lesson, I have had double lessons with the same class, but every lesson 100 minutes, that would be just three lessons a day, possiblely with the class from hell! What fool came up with such a stupid idea.

5. Sounds like Felixstowe.

They did suggest allowing them to chill out for five minutes at half time.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have worked in a school with 100 minute lessons, it is truly horrible.
    Even with motivated classes most of the valuable learning is done in the first 35 to 40 minutes allowing the remainding time to reinforce or summarise it. With the difficult classes this time is very much reduced (to about 10 minutes for some).
    I dont think that the students learn any more in a 100 minute lesson over a 50 to 60 minute one and that a lot of time is wasted. Behaviour mangement becomes a lot more difficult as the kids get restless and bored.

7. PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire New commenter

I got called in to a school for them to see me (interview day kind of) and told I might be expected to teach one lesson, but didn't have to plan.
    When I got there, they made me teach 2 double lessons. 1 was double year 9 and I had 30 mins to plan, the other one was Btec group in the computer room. I was observed for 20 mins in the year 9 lesson and left with the btec group (unless I was watched from the technician's room behind 2 way glass).

They told me they had other supply teachers to see... and as it was interview I didn't get paid. :(

8. I did supply in a school with 100 minute lessons, and learned that they also did double lessons. So I had 200 minutes (with a ten minute break halfway through) of textbook work with year 9s. It was so boring for them that I scraped the plans after the first 100 minutes and tried to wake them up by doing some more active work.

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Relatively common in old-style academies.

In those schools, every break between lessons is an opportunity for half the school to vanish and/or start fights in the corridors. By keeping to only 3 room changes a day (with brakes before each change), trouble in the corridors is proportionately reduced.

Some champion these long lessons as excellent opportunities to get into "deep learning". Personally, I'd never, ever, want to teach in one and I'd emigrate before allowing my kids anywhere near one.

10. worked in a school that had this system. It is too long, I feel for those students who are motivated,
    And when I had distruptive classes - well you can guess how turned out

11. I'm primary and afternoons often happen like that. 2 hrs of topic or science. The school I am in long term invited me back after a day which I worked. I was left a 2 hr science lesson and after 90 minutes it had really died off so I took it upon myself to take the kids outside for a change of scenary and taught them some playground games with songs. I passed it off as PHSE when reporting back as the year 6 kids are playground buddies do told them it was for them to use at lunch times. I tried this before on supply, staying in class though, and it has either worked or made behaviour worse depending on school. Even 2 hours of art is hard to get through as the attention spans are lost after 45 mins. When I had my own class I used to have double science for the afternoon or which ever subject but usually planned it as 2 1 hour lessons and concluded had a brain break then restarted learning. I went for a job once and pulled out after being shown around before applying as they said the whole school did Literacy for 3 hours on Monday-Wednesday mornings then maths on the other 2 mornings to get deeper learning of topics. Can't think of anything worse than ks1 doing 3 hours of the same, obviously with playtime in the middle, but still!!