1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

100-minute-lessons coming....experience anyone?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by SmellyEl, Apr 19, 2010.

1. How are the management of your school presenting this to you?
    The interests of the children have to come first - so how are they selling this as a good idea?
    Have they informed the parents?
    Research shows that we concentrate and learn at the optimum level for about 15 - 20 minutes so I don't understand how your school can justify this and claim that it is in the best interests of the children.
    How is it explained in the Teaching and Learning policy?
    I'm very interested as I have not heard of 3 x 100 min lessons before.
    Thanks

2. Our grammar school has had 100 minute lessons for 5 years and have now decided that they are gong to change it back to 60 minute lessons.
    Basically the management feel that the standards of the school have slipped since the change, the GCSE pass rate at A*-C has decreased with a drop in passes of over 16% in that time. Also they management and ofsted beleive between 20-40 minutes of each lesson is wasted time (40 minutes was ofsteds estimate 30 minutes the average teachers estimate and 20 minutes the heads estimate)
    Maybe if it didn't work for a Grammar school it maybe enough to get the management to reconsider this proposel.