1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

£100+ million to european frims becasue of our "unforeseeable situation" of " extreme urgency"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Dec 29, 2018.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46704522

or, for those who can't click links, the contracts will be paid to Dutch, French and some UK firms to have ferries available to attempt to alleviate the expected severe delays in critical goods being imported, in case of "no deal".

This is government money, and government planning, not newspaper hype, or "project fear". Emergency protocols have been brought in to circumvent all the usual guarantees and tendering normally required for awarding government contracts. This particular payment is a "small" part of the departments for transport's "No deal" planning. If we get a deal now they will attempt to recuperate some of their costs by selling the capacity back to the market.

I don't remember any bus with this written on the side of it....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Government planning...an oxymoron in today's political climate.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

From the link, I noticed this:

Over the last few months, additional ferry contracts were awarded to French, Dutch and British companies.

The contingency plans allow for almost 4,000 more lorries a week to come and go from other ports, including Plymouth, Poole, and Portsmouth.

Lib Dem leader Sir Vince Cable called the move "complete madness".

"The government has the power to stop "no deal" at any time but instead is spending millions on last minute contracts," he said.

"The fact that this money is predominantly going to European companies is nothing short of ironic, reducing Britain to a laughing stock on the global stage."

4. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Only Parliament can and there's not much of an appetite for doing that.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well, Sir Vince disagrees with you (his quote, not mine).

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

That's ok because according to some we're going to refuse to pay the "divorce bill" so we can use that money instead.
    As an added bonus, refusing to pay something we'd already agreed to pay will show all potential trade partners that we are tough negotiators not to be messed with. Or something like that anyway.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Has anyone in authority said that?

You seem to have forgotten that NOTHING is agreed until everything is agreed, according to the EU.

blazer and Photo51 like this.
  8. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Well basically it's one of those your damed if you do/damed if you don't situations. Some people criticise the government for not making preparations for every eventuality - no deal in this case - but here they are doing just that and they are still getting criticism on here, anyway!

lanokia and needabreak like this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think the criticism is that this is not what was promised by those who said we were 'getting our country back'.

10. florian gassmann

That was said by Nigel Farage. Why would you believe "promises" about Brexit from someone who has never even been a Westminster MP, let alone in government, and who was not going to be involved in the UK's negotiations with Michel Barnier?

needabreak and monicabilongame like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I certainly didn't believe it but there are those who did, you hear it said on vox pops interviews even now. I didn't think we had lost our country in the first place.

12. florian gassmann

Sounds very much like Chinese Whispers to me, but its a good way to disparage leave voters, isn't it, to suggest that they were stupid enough to believe things that us cleverer types knew could not be promises.

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Ah, the delicious irony.

14. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Why irony?
    Most people will contune to buy European products post-Brexit. Brexit is not self-sufficiency.

border_walker likes this.