1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

100 days SSP . Still true if an Academy chain?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by artemis81, Jan 18, 2017.

1. artemis81

artemis81 New commenter

Dear all
    I have been signed off work due to illness and was told by my Union that there was an allowance of 100 days at FT rate due to the fact that I have been teaching for over 10 years.

I have now received a letter from my Academy stating that this is not the case and that the full and half term pay entitlements are effectively halved.:eek:
    In addition, in the correspondence , an 'end date' for the 1/2 pay is given and instructions are provided regarding my entitlement to accessing Employment and Support allowance.:oops:

i am in pieces.:(
    what does this mean and can Academies create their own limits on sick pay- not in accordance with the Burgundy Book?
    In addition, with regard to the the last part of the correspondence which i refer to regarding Employment an Support allowance- does this mean that in effect I am dismissed from this date?

I would appreciate anyones help regarding this issue.
    I am already unwell and have been signed off and this has sent me absolutely into panic.:(
    With thanks

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

1) Were you employed direct by the Academy, or were you TUPEd across from a school which recognised Burgundy Book, with contract terms intact?

2) If 1) applies, then Burgundy Book entitlement to sickness benefits applies

3) If you were appointed direct to an academy, or TUPE does not apply, then their own terms and conditions apply, which may well be as you describe. An employer can create its own contractual terms - up to an applicant whether or not they accept them and take an offered job.

4) If sick pay runs out and ESA applies, it does NOT mean that you are dismissed. Only that your entitlement to sick pay runs out and DWP will pay ESA instead.

3. artemis81

artemis81 New commenter

Thank you so much for your advice.
    i have contacted my union and they will investigate the academy sickness policy and check that they are acting legally.
    sleepless nights :(

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I doubt if there is anything illegal about the policy, as academies are under the same rules as non-school employers. However, as @GLsghost says above, if you were TUPEd from a school with the Burgundy Book, then the new policy would not apply to you. So, did this happen?