1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

100 000 enslaved in Britain, a quarter of them British

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There have been reported to be an estimated 100 000 people living as slaves in the UK today, one quarter of them British, three quarter trafficked here from abroad. More than 1 in 8 are under 16.

2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

So, why is that? And what can be done?
    Austerity probably means less checks on unscrupulous employers take place by local authorities.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

• Too much focus on the past.
    • Fear of investigation/ accusations of racism
    • Greed
    • Demand (cheap goods)
    • Illegal migration

xmal, lexus300 and border_walker like this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

5. Jude Fawley

The coronavirus is exposing all kinds of situations whereby people have been operating illegally or doing something that they thought would not be discovered.

I find it interesting that people don't think of the ramifications of their behaviours. I suppose they don't ever think a situation will arise that will expose what they are involved in.

I keep coming back to that first thought I had on 18th March when the lockdown was coming into being. It flashed through my mind "what about people having affairs?"

This just being one of the situations where people have been behaving in a manner that they would not like exposing or being openly expressed.

Here in basketcase Britain we have situations that are clear abuses of pre-agreed norms and people carry on in the full knowledge they will not be investigated.

Now, the situation has changed and no end of behaviours will come to light.

Even so, I still can't get my head around why we are so lax when it comes to application of the law and correct monitoring by all agencies of the rules and laws that are in place.

burajda likes this.
  6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Perhaps its because this country is pretty corrupt and our public services, law enforcement and criminal justice system have been so run down.
    We have third world business practices operating openly in our country and they are making huge profits undercutting legitimate suppliers. I think the 'political correct' argument for failing to deal with slavery is a smoke screen to cover up inaction by all the agencies. The distributors, wholesalers and even retailers must also know what is going on but put their profits first. Unfortuntaely it will need a fire and multiple loss of life in a sweat shop before any action begins to be taken. Even then I doubt if any one will be prosecuted.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

If we know this, why are the organizers, exploiters, participants and profit takers not exposed to the law and to the UK public?
    Why the silence?

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A link to this report, please.

9. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

11. xmal

xmal Established commenter

Perhaps some should realign their unhinged fury from statues of long-dead people none of us have heard of to real victims of current slavery.

12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I'm sure you meant that the unhinged fury should be realigned towards the perpetrators of current slavery rather than the victims...
    Even so, I'd suggest this wouldn't be the greatest idea. I'd rather the perpetrators were dealt with by the justice system, rather than an emotional mob.

xmal and afterdark like this.
  13. rararasputin

14. rararasputin

15. Jude Fawley

If the trend continues Burnley, Bury, Bolton and Luton will all be in lockdown by the end of July.

Blackburn is on the edge of full lockdown.

Lots of sweatshops in all these towns.

16. Jude Fawley